Chapter 288: Class S vs Class C

March 1

Hours after the incident

ANHS

3rd person POV

Kaito-sensei was enjoying his stroll on campus as he spoke with Ayanokouji on the phone.

Shigeru: The exam is tomorrow yes. When I meant by the 1st week of March, I really meant it. 

Ayanokouji: So, it will happen tomorrow? I was expecting that. 

Shigeru: Of course, you did. You better be prepared for tomorrow. This is the final special exam. You better bring your best. 

Ayanokouji: I will. by the way, I never really got to ask you this. How's the investigation with Ryuzaki?

Shigeru: I haven't heard from him yet. He told me on the phone yesterday that he's going to find your father today. 

Just then.

A notification pops up. 

A call from Ryuzaki.

Shigeru: Well, speak of the devil. I'll call you back. 

Ayanokouji: Sure.

Kaito-sensei then responds to Ryuzaki's call. 

Shigeru: Ryuzaki, about time. Did you catch him?

Silence.

That's all he could hear.

Shigeru: Ryuzaki? 

Ryuzaki: Shigeru...

Shigeru: There you are. Are you okay? What's with the short silence there?

Ryuzaki: I don't know how to explain this to you. Do you want the good news or the bad news?

Just then, Kaito felt an uneasy feeling.

But that uneasiness is his own suspicions. 

Shigeru: I want the good news first. 

Ryuzaki: I found the White Room thanks to Nakano-san. 

Shigeru: I knew Maruo would come through. Now...what's the bad news? Judging from the tone of your voice. Something went wrong.

Ryuzaki: You assumed correct. Something did happen and you're not gonna like it. 

Shigeru: Just say it. 

Ryuzaki: Atsuomi and everyone in that facility...disappeared.

Shigeru: ...

Kaito was shocked.

Though his face doesn't show it.

He was already bewildered. 

Shigeru: You mean everyone is gone? Including the children?

Ryuzaki: I'm afraid so.

Shigeru: That's impossible. Do you have a theory on how they did it?

Ryuzaki: Well, my only guess is that someone managed to contact him somehow. Even though I made sure that I can track any cellphone signals. I have a feeling that there was another way for someone to contact Atsuomi. 

Shigeru: Such as what?

Ryuzaki: The government itself.

Shigeru: You believe that? 

Ryuzaki: Given how Atsuomi is slowly gaining prominence politically because of the funding he's gotten from his investors. He could've secretly paid someone from the government to warn him of any impending officer or FBI agents looking to take him down.