057. PREPARING TO SAY GOODBYE

Chapter fifty seven
"Preparing to say goodbye."

Caroline was sitting next to Sam in the choir room, yet she couldn't stop staring at her brother, knowing Finn would be leaving soon for New York as well at first wasn't bothering her, but now that she only had a few more weeks left with him, she began to feel him slipping away and wanted to spend every moment with him, as Rachel and Mercedes were arguing down at the bottom "it was written for Diana Ross." Mercedes told her "no. Mercedes, you are wrong, okay? The bodyguard was originally written for Barbra Streisand." Rachel told her, as Mr Schuester who walked in interrupted her "actually Rachel it was supposed to be Diana Ross." he told her, walking over to the board "and Steve McQueen back in the seventies." he added on.

"Thank you, Mr Schue." Mercedes told him "I've been doing some research to prepare for this weeks lesson." Mr Schuester shared as he began writing on the board "oh, my god. Yes. It's about time we did a Whitney tribute." Rachel told them "are we sure that's appropriate?" Sam asked, causing Mercedes to turn to him "you did not just ask that." she told him "I just mean didn't Whitney kind of have a lot of problem's?" Sam asked "she had a hard life, Sam. And?" Mercedes asked him.

As Mr Schuester then took over "look this week isn't about passing judgment on Whitney. It's abut celebrating her legacy, honoring her memory, her accomplishments." Mr Schuester shared "which I will happily list for you.." Kurt began as Blaine put his hand on his shoulder "but I also want you guys.." Mr Schuester told them as he sat down on the piano bench "to use her songs to get underneath your own feelings to express and explore what's really going on with you." he added on.

"I don't get it, Mr Schue. What's really going on with us?" Finn asked "well, for most of you, these next few weeks will be your last here at McKinley. Lots of changes coming up, lots of saying goodbye..to your friends, to your significant others, to the last four years of your life. For a young person, all that transition can be overwhelming, so it's easier to focus on other things. Like not getting to say goodbye to Whitney Houston." Mr Schuester shared "what are you talking about?" Santana asked him.

As Mr Schuester stood up "Santana, it's okay. I get it. You're hanging on to Whitney because it's difficult to handle the upheaval in your own lives." he told her "we're hanging on to Whitney because she was incredible and we love her. So don't put your baggage on us." Santana told him "you guys, Mr Schue's attempt to understand though misguided, doesn't matter. What matters is that I start rehearsing Whitney's version of the star spangled banner immediately. It is the Mount Everest of anthems." Rachel shared.

And soon they were out of glee club and as Finn was at his locker putting his books away, Caroline was standing right next to him having not said anything "you okay, you seemed off today? And by off I mean, you usually sit in the back with Sam when I drive us all to school where we then pick up Rachel but today you sat up front where even when Rachel asked you to sit in the back, you didn't move?" Finn questioned as Caroline shrugged "what? I can't sit next to you in the car?" she asked him, causing Finn to furrow his brows "no, it's just that..and now you're standing at my locker. You're just acting different." he told her.

Which made Caroline laugh "different? I'm not acting different! We have our second nationals coming up, okay? I'm just stressed! Stop trying to make everything about you!" she voiced, getting defensive as she slammed Finn's locker shut and walked off, leaving Finn standing there confused.

The next day, Caroline was sitting next to Sam in the choir room while Britney was putting on her Whitney number, although Finn wasn't looking at her but over at his sister starting to worry about her.

"Clocks strikes upon the hour

And the sun begins to fade
Still enough time to figure out
How to chase all my blues away
I've done alright up 'til now
Its the light of day that shows me how
And when the night falls my lonely heart calls."