My nature

My father looked at me for a moment before sighing. He looked like he was about to tell me an important story, so I let my slight anger out on him, scolding my actions toward his sons.
"You know your mother and me... when we met, it wasn't crazy love... at least on my side because I hated her like no one."
He looked at me out of the corner of his eye, probably to gauge my reaction. But above all, I wanted to listen to the story to form my own opinion.
"At that time, I was married to Karl and Edward's mother, MaKebt Eléonore, the daughter of a count who had fallen in love with me and whom my father had forced me to marry."
He huffed, seeming to be trying to recover from those memories, and I, still silent, waited for him to resume the narration.
"My sons were born, and I only felt anger and revulsion for my family... Finally, wanting to escape this suffocating and oppressive family life, I galloped towards nowhere and found myself in front of the forest nightmares—this place where only evil beings come."

I reflected on my father's words. First of all, are these assholes mad at me for taking my mother away? I'm the former duchess's only child, and these assholes hate me? But what was the problem of these scoundrels?
Second, he galloped to this evil forest, so what? I pinched my eyes, watching my father inquisitively.

He probably understood because he hastened to answer.

"That's where I met your mother. She was stunning. You look like two drops of water to her. I knew there was nothing normal with her, but I was just fascinated, and I finally let her kiss me before disappearing."

meaning my mom isn't normal?

"The days that followed were the worst of my life. Your mother was not human. She was a demon. Mylène, your mother tortured me for months to make me hers. She bit me, scratched me, and threatened those around me with death. She was sickly jealous."

I frowned.

"I understand, so you hate my mother," I spoke coldly. If that's the case, then he can't fully love me, and so I should also expect that one day his disdain for my mother will carry over to me.

"I thought I was doing it... I wanted to do it, but she was awakening so many things in me, and I ended up giving in, letting her possess me and   I possessed her too. She changed my nature and transformed me into a semi-demon."

"Are you a demon too? Which means…." I nearly jumped out of my seat.

"That I cannot be killed by a human weapon, accident, or disease."

"But my mother..." If that's true, why did my mother die in childbirth?

"I'm coming. Your mother wanted to be my wife, but I was already married and already had children. So, Christal Goldish, that's your mother's name. She didn't want to share me with them. She wanted to kill everyone who came between us."

"I love my mother. She really should have killed those assholes the way they treated her precious daughter."

"I guess…" Claude rolled his eyes before continuing.
"Well, I didn't agree, and well, we had a fight, and she decided to leave me forever because...I told her that the love I had for her was a spell and that it wasn't real... I'm sure I hurt her."

"Of course you did." I gave him an accusing look, and he looked away in shame, wearing an apologetic smile.

“A month passed, and I started to worry. She had told me that she would come back after a month, and if I was fine, it would be because it was a bewitchment. If it wasn't the case, I was deeply in love with her. And of course, I was. I felt like my body was burning; I was in agony, and that's when I found out that I was changing."

Claude brought out his fangs and claws, and his eyes turned red under my fascinated gaze.

"I want to do this too," I spoke excitedly.

"It's impossible because... well, you're already in demon form. Your mother had golden eyes in demon form, but you have them permanently. Claws and fangs, I don't know; we'll see later."

I pouted, but my dad just continued his story.
"I felt like my heart was burning; I had a feeling your mother was in danger. I went to the Forest of Nightmares to find her."

"Did you enter this demonic forest and come out again? I thought it was impossible."

"Because it is...for humans but not for beings of our nature...I found your mother but..."

"Wait, Dad, if you can go, then you don't have to cede these lands to the king."

"I would like to, but I can't either."

"For what?"

"Well, sacred beasts..those divine beings are stopping me and your mother. She was banished by one of them, the dragon of Seiryu, because she turned me..."

“She looked for it too.”

"It's your mother; be a little nice."

"No"

Claude sighed, then continued.

"We were banned, but that was not all."
My father looked at me for a moment, then spoke.
"Seiryu put a curse on our future child, you."

"I was cursed."

"Yes. I brought Christal back, and we made sure that Eléonore left without Christal killing her. Your mother was serious about doing it. Then, I don't know about the depression or your mother, but finally, Eléonore strangely committed suicide. Christal became my wife, and for Karl and Edward, she was their mother; they adored her. But when you were born, Christal said that you weren't our daughter, that your carnal envelope was indeed that of our daughter, but that the soul inside was not yours. So she had to leave and get you."

"I don't understand. I'm 27 in this body. My soul is 27. How?"

"I don't know how to explain this. Your mother will when she gets back."

"Because she's coming back? Ah, we'll have two beauties in this house; I don't know if I want to have competition."

"Stop playing. It's important to me. If she doesn't come back soon, I'm going to start wasting away because I'm tied to her; my life is nothing without her."

"I understand, so that's why you mistreated that girl."

"Yes. Your mother asked me to get her out of here by any means so that you have a place to live when you come back."

" Interesting…"

This story is pretty big but I don't want to argue too much about it. If my dad tells me that's it, then it must be.

"And so, for what you told me earlier?"

"Demons like you are mesmerizing; men get fascinated, and then it depends on whether you want to puppet them or love them. But usually, if you don't show them interest, they just end up seeing you as a beautiful woman that they would like to own without trying to take a bolder approach and will want to woo you for a chance. But it won't be fanatical like when you make them your puppets."

"But that's a superpower..."

"Try not to abuse it."

I remained calm for a moment before wondering if I could enter this forest since I was more than half a demon.

"By the way, tell me what Gabrielle and her mother are doing at our house."

"Another idea from your mother. I had to look like I lost my wife, and so going over 19 years without a wife would be strange."

"Well, by the time Mom gets back, I'm going to move forward with my plans to get rid of them and…"

"Are you going to the academy?"

I turned pale, looking at my father as if he had just said something stupid—or almost.

"I read the book you had in your hands at the library. You have light magic, and you want to learn how to master it. But know that you will have to be discreet about this power."

"I understood it, Dad; I would be..."

"It's quite surprising that you, the daughter of two demons, use this magic. Maybe it's the part of humanity you have left."

"Well, that's great... I came to see you, Daddy because I have something to ask you."

"What?"

"Who manages the provisions and finances of the Hosten mansion?"

"The food supplies for the kitchens are managed by the wife I took through her head maid and the finances by the butler following my orders, of course, so I am the one who manages the finances... Why?"

"Give me the key to the cellar and all the registers related to the management of the provisions. I also want to manage the employees and all that relates to the management of the house. I leave the finances to you for the moment, but know that I will also take over this management soon."

Claude smiles

"Well, do as you want; I'll bring this woman."

"You talk about her like you've never touched her."

"It's the case."

"But...and your needs."

"I don't think talking about my sexuality with my daughter is appealing. Just know that demons, once bound, can't feel love or desire for anyone other than the one we bound or who bound us. In my case, I've been waiting for your mother for 19 years, and it's starting to get long."

"I imagine."

The Duchess arrived a few minutes later at Claude's call, followed by her governess.

"Yes, Sir Claude?"

I raised an eyebrow. So in private, this woman also calls my father formally? It was too funny.

"I want you to give me the keys to the cellar as well as all the account registers and the names of the Hosten's suppliers. From today, it is Mylène who will be responsible for the management of this residence; she will also take care of the staff."

I crossed my arms, smiling at the defeated face of the governess and revolting at the Duchess.

"But...but... Monsignor, I am the mistress of the house, and...it's up to me to manage all these things; Mylène is still only a child, and..."

"Oh, don't worry, I can handle it, mother-in-law."