A real pushover

Downtown, Country X, year xxxx, in a typical office full of common people ( maybe).

[Bam]

I jumped at the violent noise of a pile of documents being placed hard on the desk in front of me. It was still morning, we were at the beginning of the week and already, I knew that not only my day but also my week would be rotten. The cause, well, it stood before me with a look filled with disdain and contempt.

I never understood why so much animosity towards me yet I don't think I've ever done anything wrong to him since I've been in this company. He is my manager, the man who reminds me every day that my life is shit, by deeds and words. As soon as he calls me into his office, or even in front of my colleagues, I know I will be humiliated.

Why so much hate? I have no response. Still, the moment I heard my name being called as soon as I set foot in the office this morning, I knew I was going to have a tough time. And I was right as I stared at this pile of documents out of nowhere.

Why was there so much paperwork when he makes me work overtime every day? I didn't have time to think more when his execrable voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Hold this and run quickly to do the annual review of the reports indicated here. I want them before 6 p.m. You have been warned".

I was cold, how could he surprise me with so much work? And today's work?

"What are you still doing here? You're useless and stupid my word. I've already given you your tasks so get out of here immediately".

I gritted my teeth hard as I glared at him.

"What's that look? You want to complain? Have you forgotten to whom you owe a decent life? So do something and work to deserve your salary".

I lowered my head with an aching heart when once again, I couldn't say what I was thinking about this big bald asshole who didn't hesitate to put me down. I picked up the stack of documents before walking to my office past my colleagues' desks. With the way my bastard boss yelled at me, I'm sure everyone heard, but since it's Valeria, no one cares, let alone pays attention.

It has always been that way and I guess it will remain so. It must amuse them to see me being constantly humiliated I guess. I arrived in front of my office filing the documents before sighing with weariness. I feel that it's not going to be a piece of cake. I, who wanted to eat something first, I'm going to have to finish half of this work first before allowing myself a break.

I was hard at work when I heard footsteps approaching and soon a man's voice was heard among the sounds of keyboards and pens on the paper.

" Say Val, would you help me this time? I promise that I will be thankful to you for the rest of my life."

A man in his thirties was standing in front of me. He had a look of apology and pleading and was looking at me with pain. I didn't know what to do.

I too had a pile of documents that my boss had just dropped off in front of me, and I had to return them by the end of the day. Despite that fact, my colleague would like to add another pile of documents to my work to the very same date-stopper.

I certainly wouldn't make it, I had to tell him, I couldn't do it. But how should I tell him? Especially since I've always had a crush on him, and I think he knows it very well. I sighed, no matter how I feel, I'm not capable of amassing so much work.

" Listen John I..."

" Listen, Val, I swore to my girlfriend that I would take her to dinner in a great restaurant tonight; but because of these files, I may not keep this promise. Come on please ... She will tell me to sulk if I don't keep my promise."