Bad Luck exceeds death

John's voice brought me back to reality and I sighed again.

" Yes, I will help you but this is the last …"

I couldn't finish my sentence because the guy had already left for his office and was coming back with a pile of documents in his hands.

He laid them carelessly on my desk before giving me an energy drink to bring me a little boost.

" You should get started then..."

Then turning to the popular woman, he asked her if she wanted to go to lunch. She smiled elegantly rubbing her hand through her hair before replying in the affirmative.

"  I was already hungry, so let's go then."

Without another word to me, the two left for lunch leaving me alone in front of two piles of documents. It was a bad idea because my job alone was not easy but when I added to my colleague's accounting documents, I was running towards overwork. I was sure of it but I had already accepted. I could not go back on my word, especially if it is about John, and if there was one thing for which I was proud, it was the fact of being a trustworthy woman.

Decided I took a pen, a calculator, and files before plunging into it ardently.

I worked so hard that I couldn't see the time passing and soon, I felt a pain in my back. This pain forced me to straighten up and take a break only to notice that the room was empty and the bay windows looking over the city gave me a clear indication that night had long since fallen.

I quickly glanced at my watch and my body went cold when I found out it was 8 p.m., and I had been working overtime unintentionally...but that wasn't the worst part.  I had to choose between the fact that John left without even saying goodbye to me when it was his fault that I was in such a ridiculous situation.

Secondly, I should have gone to deliver the work to my boss at 6 p.m., but now at 8 p.m I am downright two hours late and have no doubt that my boss will make me pay for it.

Between insults and humiliation, I wouldn't know where I was going to put myself.

My boss was not going to hesitate to remind me how incapable and incompetent I am, which I find stupid because I am the most competent of his employees. This is why he gives me all the work rather than others,  and the fact that I'm also the only one to pander to his whims.

After all, the others have far too much charisma for my boss to lose the way to order them as he does with me.

I get up quickly, repacking all the files, mine and those of my colleague even if in the end, I have only done two-thirds of the work requested. He would understand that my work alone could not be done in only five hours and added to that of my colleague, I would be taken by the times forced to work overtime.

I wiggled my aching neck and clicked my tongue on my puck...I had a bitter aftertaste in the back of my throat not to mention the fact that my stomach was gurgling reminding me that I hadn't eaten since breakfast.

My insides were writhing and added to the fact that my head was pounding, and I was seeing blurry due to fatigue and hunger, I could barely stand up.

I took a moment to calm myself down and when I did, I ran down the hall almost slipping on the tiles which I imagine the maid had just polished...despite me not wearing high heels, I slipped twice before recovering and rushing into the dark hallway at the end of which was my boss's office.

I was so obsessed with my goal that I didn't even hear the night guard talking to me and finally, I was in front of my boss's office.

I took a deep breath before releasing everything. Making sure not to spill everything, I reached up and knocked on the office door.