Put a spoke in their wheels.

In the hallway, Fancy and I walked together when I felt like throwing up.

My body was screaming at me that I hate sugar, yet the old Mylène seemed to like it. Even I, at least in my old life as Valeria, had a sweet tooth. But now I'm so disgusted by anything sweet that it amazes me. I'm more into things that taste repulsive.

"My lady?" Fancy called, and I turned my face to her.

"Ah, well done, my little fancy; you did an excellent job. Congratulations."

Fancy blushed before smiling proudly.

“Thank you, my Lady...”

"But it's not over yet... I'm sure Gabrielle will try to make contact with the poison seller soon. I want you to find out who this woman is. I want us to catch her and keep her under control to confuse Gabrielle later."

I was still thinking about the question—to find a way to corner this woman—when Fancy stood in front of me and smiled like a vixen, surprising me.

"My lady, leave it to me. I know someone who would be happy to do this job for you."

"Someone?"

"Yes, my brother..."

I raised my eyebrows, so Fancy had an older brother. Well, it was okay if my plan just came true.

"Good, get in touch with him immediately, and keep watching Gabrielle for when she will meet this woman."

"Well, My Lady"

"As for me, I'm going to see my dad because I have a favor to ask him."

So I went to my dad's office and knocked on the door. My dad answered immediately, having sensed who was behind the door.
Claude smiled, his face lighting up as Mylène came to fall into his arms.

"You are very energetic, my belief."

"It's just that I'm happy to see you again. Since morning, I haven't had time to enjoy my beloved dad."

Claude chuckled but that was without counting on the fact that they weren't alone.

In Claude's office were the Duke of Veinstein, Karl, Edward, and the butler, the latter three having ashen faces while the Duke of Veinstein looked dumbfounded.

"Oh Dad, do you have a guest?"

Karl and Edward frowned, visibly annoyed by Mylène's contempt for their presence.

"Let me introduce you…"

Then, stooping slightly near my ear, he whispered to me.

"Don't look him in the eye for more than thirty seconds; I'll explain why later."

I was curious about the reason, but I will wait for my father's explanations.

"Duke of Veinstein, I present to you my daughter, Mylène Von Hosten, the light of my life."

I blushed before looking down in embarrassment. What was that? My father was so... I smiled, my heart filling with sweet warmth, while on the other side, Karl and Edward were about to explode with rage. The light of his life? What was this complete nonsense again?

Edward had understood that his father had a special affection for Mylène that he couldn't explain.

The butler clenched his jaw, wanting to get out of the room as quickly as possible so as not to be so disgusted. He could have left this house a long time ago, but he couldn't because of Karl and Edward. He couldn't leave them; his morals and his responsibilities forbade him.

"Sweetheart, this is the Duke of Veinstein. He's a friend of mine; his late father and I were best friends, and you could say I practically watched him grow up."

"My greetings, your grace."

I looked up for a moment before lowering them, as my father had instructed me.
But the duke had had time to admire this beautiful golden shade at the bottom of Mylène's gaze, blushing slightly, making Claude sigh helplessly.

He didn't want the son of a friend as dear as the duke's late father had been to be bewitched by his daughter and thus become another dog-like man behind his daughter; that was not supposed to happen.

"My Lord, we are friends, and as you say, you have practically seen me grow up. So I don't think it's okay to do so much in a way, don't you think?"

Then he came forward and took Mylène's hand to kiss it.

"My lady, the last time I was in your presence, you weren't born yet. Haha, I came with my father to pay a short visit to the Duke and Madame Christal. You look a lot like her; your beauty is exceptional."

He stared at me for a long moment, his hand still holding mine, as I looked at my father out of the corner of my eye with apologetic eyes, asking him to save me from this situation.

"Ah, your grace, come for a moment..."

The duke let go of my hand as I sighed softly in relief. I didn't want this man, especially if my father considers him his friend, to become another of the men who chased after me. It would be unpleasant.

"Ah, I remember. I was 10 years old at that time, and Madame Christal always had this benevolent look toward me. She even told me that her daughter would marry me if I were a nice boy."

Claude stiffens... Christal, what have you done again?

"Too bad it will never happen because I got engaged to Lady Marion De Solsten."

He went to sit next to the duke while Karl and Edward came to join them in the small living room.

"You can leave now Mylène, we have to talk about important things and your presence...."
Started Karl but I cut him

"Dad, can I stay please?"

"Yes my darling, come close to me."

I placed myself in front of Karl before smiling arrogantly at him, making fun of his face before passing and going to sit next to Claude, avoiding as much as possible meeting the duke's gaze.

"Well then, let's start this meeting...Karl and Edward, you had to perform some memorable actions within the framework of the missions entrusted to you by the Duke of Veinstein. Although you are only aspiring knights, you have shown proof of a lot of courage, so he came to thank you especially."

Both puffed out their chests and smiled as I rolled my eyes.

"Indeed boys, you have been exceptional bringing honor to your father's name and titles. That is why I have come to grant you the support of my family for the final exams at the royal academy"

The butler smiled proudly that his proteges finally had the much-deserved recognition while Claude remained stoic in the face of it all...in short, it didn't mean much to him. The Veinsteins have significant authority in the examination process at the royal academy, so having their support goes a long way.

Karl and Edward were looking at him happily, probably waiting for him to congratulate them and he sighed but before speaking Mylène decided to do something...
If those two had the support of a big family like the Veinsteins, I'm sure that would put a damper on my plans. Even if I have the second prince's backing later on, it wouldn't be enough to counter the new power these two bastards would gain from being boosted by the Veinsteins because it would be so consistent...what if the man said to me so I will take advantage of it, it would be just as unacceptable.
  I must be the only one garnering power and influence in this mansion or I wouldn't get what I want.

"Oh, so what kind of mission did they accomplish?" I spoke naively, drawing everyone's attention to me.