Chapter Twenty Eight

Start from the beginning

However, just as they turned the corner towards the elevators, the doors unexpectedly opened, revealing two men dressed in suits instead of staff uniforms. The way their gaze immediately fixated on the four of them sent a surge of alarm through Ronin's mind.

"Right now!" Ronin urgently whispered, quickly spinning around and pulling Carmen along with him.

Jasper and Molly swiftly followed suit, dashing towards the opposite end of the hallway. With some luck, they might reach the elevator and temporarily shake off their pursuers.

Carmen's heart raced in her chest, but she couldn't deny that she had never felt safer than she did next to Ronin. The way he tightly held her hand and appeared ready to lead her to safety revealed a whole new facet of his character— a face that she had never seen before.

As they hurried down the narrow hallway, a staff member pushing a trolley emerged, heading towards them. Ronin swiftly took the lead, tilting to the side in order to squeeze through the narrow gap between the trolley and the wall. He quickly checked to make sure Carmen did the same

They turned a corner and saw a staircase, but at the same time, the doors of an empty elevator opened to their left.

Ronin acted fast.

"Jasper, take the elevator!" He yelled over his shoulder and pulled Carmen towards the stairs.

Jasper nodded quickly and led Molly into the elevator, but just before the doors could close, he shouted, "See you up there!"

Right on cue, two men in suits arrived, out of breath and momentarily unsure of their next move. Since both women looked somewhat similar, wearing matching cruise' white t-shirts, red caps, and skirts that could easily belong to anyone, they quickly decided to split up and follow them separately.

* * *

The elevator doors hinged open, revealing the atrium, but before Jasper and Molly could step out, they came to an abrupt halt, their eyes locked onto the intimidating figure blocking their path.

This guy was rocking a slick leather jacket and faded jeans, casually chewing on a toothpick, while he tilted his head and aimed his gun right at them.

"Come on," he commanded, nodding his head for them to exit, but also warning them not to pull any stupid moves. "Let's go!"

* * *

Ronin forcefully swung open the heavy doors, stepping into the new corridor on the upper deck. He quickly surveyed the area before urgently pulling Carmen towards the staff washroom. He could hear footsteps trailing behind them, and he knew they had to shake off their pursuer as soon as possible.

As soon as they shut the washroom door behind them, the heavy doors leading to the corridor swung open again, and the man chasing them made his presence known. He was out of breath, scanning the surroundings to figure out where they might have gone.

Unable to find their trail, he reached for his walkie-talkie and spoke into it. "Lost track of that Logan. What's your status?"

Another man responded, gasping for air. "Viper got them!" he said between heavy breaths. "We are heading to the chamber. See you there!"

"Sounds about right. Okay. Meet you there," the pursuer replied before ending the transmission.

Ronin and Carmen found refuge inside one of the stalls, their hearts pounding as they held their breaths. They could hear the door open and the sound of footsteps moving around, but no one bothered to check inside the stalls.