Ch50

We are so close, so very close and yet another obstacle falls before me. The institutions reinforcements screech to a halt before the yards entrance, their black SUV's with heavily tinted windows screams government agents.

Another mess has fallen into my lap.

I quickly shove Alex down as the agents begin to yell, the usual lines that are meant to coax us to give in to their custody. I admit there is something more intimidating about the men in black, full tactical gear and a better verity of ammunition then the mercenaries. I may have thought the mercenaries competent when dealing with people like us but the guy with a big mouth still wound up with a hatchet in the head.

"Jack, this is Alex, I'm going to leave him with you for a bit."

I get a grumble in response, Jack didn't turn to face me, to busy shuffling through the pockets of what appears to be a flak jacket.

"I don't want to deal with him", he finally states, glaring over his shoulder at the man he has never met. He tosses the jacket to the side along with a pack of cigarettes that he had found within, an item he has no use for, "I am leaving, I heard what BEN said, I am not sticking around to deal with trouble. Things are getting messy, no CP's remain within that jail, many fled within the short interval that was given, there's not enough of us to hold them off." He growls, "besides, I can't make out anything here, it's too loud, the air is too thick", he ends his sentence with a disgusted hiss.

"Just a bit longer Jack, the entrance is blocked, you could scale the wall but then what?"

He looks down as though he is trying to come up with a solution, being blind is a large handicap, it may be useful when stalking through a city, but in this situation where we are surrounded by miles of forest, he would without a doubt in his mind get lost, therefor he remains quiet when no answer surfaces.

"Look, this guy here is a... friend of the Proxies, if you keep him alive they will owe you one."

That grabs his attention, he slowly stands to his full height, his face getting close to Alex who takes a step away as Jack begins to sniff him. He apparently caught what he was looking for, humming while crooking his neck to his shoulder, "fine, but if it becomes to much don't expect me to stick around."

I pause to look over Alex's frightened expression as the realization that I truly intend to leave him alone with a monster sink in, he looks up at me with a pleading glint.

"Stay", I demand, "stay out of the way if you don't want to become collateral", Alex sinks to the ground, sitting with a hung head, "and Jack", I smile, "don't eat him."

A grumbling laugh echoes up Jack's throat, he flashes his sharp smile while looking Alex over, "you ask so much of me."

I had thought us outnumbered before, but now with the number of CP escapees our number's have dropped significantly, as Jack had said, we may not stand a chance. After the agents read their demands Masky took it upon himself to verbally cuss them out, if anything the yelling match bought us some time to prepare what is once again going to result in a blood bath, this time though, I should be expecting to get a few more holes in this body of mine.

With the loud rev of an engine I am forced to throw myself to the ground, the vehicles that constructed the barricade are thrown into the yard as the government vehicles plow through the line. The scrubs on the grill penetrating through like a bulldozer. I am left stunned and dizzy from the hard fall, those who had gotten crushed consist wholly of the unfortunate human patients that had not the mind nor insight to even attempt to defend themselves.

Looking back I see Jack holding Alex by the collar, he had pulled the man along with him as he sprang out of the way. The others also ended up on the ground, barely managing to escape the near compression between two heavy objects.