Ch19

It has almost been a week after I left item containment empty handed.

The daily schedules had been improved to allow the patents time to talk with a psychiatrist, along with check ups on the end of the week, and a newly open room for lounging and conversing after lunch, probably to keep us locked indoors longer during the day.

Aside from the extra leg work the days have been quiet, although Helen has been trying stick closer to me after I was shocked and dragged off, he even commented on how accident prone I am, he was not thrilled when I laughed at his serious comment.

Jeff had also started to stick around me, hanging off my shoulders and demanding I accept becoming his lackey, Jane has kicked him away more then once in a day, resulting in a all-out brawl and solitary for the two, I haven't seen them sense.

As for me, my energy is depleted, I am unsure if its the mental strain, but I can't seem to keep my eyes open, my head pounds in a dull, numbing ache. Dr. M had noticed my lethargy, regardless if he is able to see my complication behind the mask or not, dragging me from my lunch table in front of the other patents and holding me captive inside the nurses office despite my indignant disapproval.

The renovated nurse's office is larger, it included the first window I've seen in this place, being heavily barred did not stop the rays of sun from lighting the room in a warm hue, providing a peaceful atmosphere in the plain white box.

The head piece of the newly installed hospital beds lined the back wall, allowing the room to feel less like a clinic and more of a professional facility, I sat atop one of these beds, swinging my legs lazily over the edge, swaying under my own weight.

To say I felt gross would be an understatement, I feel awful, weak, and I hated every minute of it. Dr. Morales is not helping my situation, asking question I don't answer in an attempt to distract me form forcing my way out the door until the nurse came, I just want to be left alone when I feel bad, is that to much to ask?

"(Y/N) please, just lay down. The nurse will be here momentarily"

"... leave me be, I'm fine"

My jaw clenched, my fists balled in the white sheets covering the bed, I could not bring my gaze any higher than my knees.

Why is it so hard for you to listen to me?

He cleared his throat, sitting on the bed across from me, "you have been taking your medication right, how has that been going?"

"It does nothing, I feel no different" I finally take his advice and burry myself into the hard bed, turning my back on him to end the conversation.

And it does, for a few moments the air is silent, but I suppose the doctor can't stand the lack of conversation.

"I've noticed you and Helen have gotten along fine rooming together, but please don't get to close to him (Y/N), he has killed tens of people, all for the sake of his artistic values"

The only response I give him is an inaudible mumble.

"It may be best to give you a single room, away from the other patents. Would you like that (Y/N)?"

"..."

"(Y/N)-?"

"Stop calling me that..." my voice was quiet but firm, I didn't intend to say it out loud, but the words slipped from my lips without my consent.

Another still silence fell over us, awkwardness I tried to ignore. The doctor sat with his hands clasped over his legs, head down in thought, he seemed to be racking his brain on something, anything to say to keep the conversation going.

"You... Your alright with talking as long as it's not about you, correct?... Then... How about I talk about myself for a while, give you a little break, you don't even have to join me" he waited for a response, I said nothing, turning to lay on my back and blankly gazed at the roof, he chuckled half heartedly with a look of apprehension, "I was worried when you suddenly cut contact with me you know, I thought perhaps I had been a little preventive, not giving you enough space after what happened with your mother."

He glanced at the door, probably regretting brining up a heavy topic for the both of us, "being so new to the profession at the time I had no clue how to help you, I followed what my gut said, perhaps that is what caused you to break away. I looked for you, I called you every day with no answer, I visited your house only to find it had been sold, you fell off the map" he wiped his eyes with his sleeve, taking a deep breath, "And when you took off that mask I almost had a heart attack."

He had my full attention now, I sat back up on the bed, he averted his gaze from me, "I had heard about that man you see, The Slenderman, what he does to people, what he makes them do.. In desperation I tracked the last location of your vehicle and when it was last spotted next to that forest..."

He sniffled, "I thought he got you, took you, I... "

I sighed, rubbing the back of my neck as I watched the old man cry, as touched as I was I thought him foolish to blame himself for my disconnection.

The fault lies with me after all, my selfish wish.

"That forest" he continued, "It was filled with so many beasts. Just recently another creature was added to the Entity containment from there, such a sad thing it looked, so skinny and broken."

My heart jumped, the recognition with his veig words rocked around my aching mind, "...What did it look like?"

He looked up at me, smiling at my input to the conversation, "It is a fleshy creature, pail as paper, almost thought it was a dog before I got a closer look at it. It killed a lot of animals and humans alike in that forest, scratched them up good with its long nails. Up until now everyone though there was a rabid cougar in the area. I'm glad we where able to stop such a terror, don't you agree (Y/N)?"

My mouth stretched into a thin line, I feel bad again, this time in the pit of my stomach. That first skinny monster I encountered in those woods is now in this facility. Trapped. Same as everyone else.

I looked at Dr. Morales with a fake smile, fighting through the aggravation.

"Yes, how great yet..."

'How cynical'