Ch28

The staircase is an endless descent, the concrete is damp, cold, and cracked, a brisk breeze pushed against my face as I try to find my footing in the lightless area, I haven't been this claustrophobic since the time I paid to be buried alive, this time however I don't believe I will have the fortune of being rescued by stray dogs.

With such a tense atmosphere both BEN and I have yet to say a word, so focused on monitoring what is around us to afford the distraction of a conversation. The silence between us makes the descent all the more unnerving, the background noise is what really drowns out one's mind, it is like static, so soft you don't know it is there until you settle. The water dripping off the wall, the rumbling of the pipes that connect to the upper levels, sound that is not always there but makes itself herd when you forget about it.

Heart throbbing suspense.

A thick ball of nervousness is pushed away when I swallow, my hands shake from either the horrible unknown or the cold, I can't tell, it is not a nice feeling to have to guess what is going to happen next.

BEN is also on edge, the glowing of the watch outlined his pixeled frame, his arms are hugging himself and his eyes are glancing around, he clears his throat when he notices my gaze, shifting his posture to appear more relaxed, "I know I said you can stare whenever you wanted, but come one babe, give me a warning"

I groan at him and roll my eyes, I had not the chance to retort about the name calling as my foot slid across the cement floor, the base of the staircase, as dark and narrow as the stairwell.

The bottom of the stairs leads into a long tunnel like hallway, a single bulb hung loosely from the roof, buzzing, and flickering in impending darkness.

A shiver shot up my spine, my chest tightened, there is something so wrong in this place its suffocating.

"Hey... can we make this quick. I... I don't want to be here longer then needed" BEN's voice cracked, he can sense the same unease, the same constricting presence.

I wordlessly nodded to him, focusing on the sliver of light peering through the dark, my shoes glides across the ground, using short shaky steps before kneeling behind a table.

"Holly shit...." the sight before us leaves me in a loss for words, something ripped out of a SI-FI clip, my eyes burned as I stared, my mouth running dry.

In the center of the large room, propped impossibly on a sharp cylinder is a small spherical object, its metallic texture shifting and re-arranging itself as the seconds ticked by. An amethyst aura wafted around it like chemical smoke, shaping words and sentences that gave me a headache when I tried to read them out, soft whispers, moans, and cries, silently escaped the body of the sphere, adding a whole new alarming esthetic.

It took my eyes a moment to realize the group we followed down stood before the object, the two Nurses holding the shoulders of the patent who stood before them, as though they were coaxing him forward.

"... They are... are..." BEN tried to wheeze out a sentence, his voice so broken and shaky I thought my watch had malfunctioned.

"Is that guy a CP?" I questioned him, trying to get a coherent response from the ghost.

BEN simply shook his head, his eyes distant and unfocused, "No... no... he is a nobody, that thing though... That thing is dangerous."

I watched the patent stumble forward, he shook like a leaf, his legs looked to buckle at any given moment. With one last glance at the two people who dragged him to this place he reached out a hand and gently placed it against the surface of the sphere.

My breath caught in my throat, my eyes widen in astonishment.

The poor man didn't make a sound as his body lost all its colour, all its definition, and promptly melted like sand.