Ch45

The stairwell feels deeper then when I had first descended it, darker, clammy, the air is heavy with moisture and a thick layer of miasma. The claustrophobic squeeze of walls tightens with the extra bodies who decided to accompany me.

Jonathan stuck close to my side, a frown pulled deep, after he had stated he was accompanying me both Jane and more surprisingly Jeff wordlessly followed use through the false door, leaving Jack and Clockwork to finish release the imprisoned.

"I owe Nathan one" Jane had stated, "that and I don't trust this sheep splitter from wandering off like a toddler."

Jeff spat on the concrete step, "Piss off Jane, you will want me here when things go to shit."

"If nothing but a meat shield."

Jonathan, sweet, sweet, murderous Jonathan, disregarded the involuntary hazard Jeff causes when he takes a stem to soon and clipped the back of his heels, choosing to hide the irked snarl of his glowing teeth behind the courteous act of lighting the dark stairwell.

I am unsure just how deep this descent was originally, I had been preoccupied with my concerns of what lay beneath this horribly broken institution, the depth was not on my list of concerns.

"You feel that?", Jonathan's words echo in the tight space as the hairs on my arms begin to stand, the fluorescent purple glow from the open exit.

The stifle of fear, the atmosphere is overstimulating, the others are just as overwhelmed, they are silent, hyper focused on the open threshold as though expecting the danger to lunge the moment we step through.

Through the silence there is audible voices conversing, vague sentences between two robed individuals who stand before the monstrosity that had formed from that arcanic sphere. Gray sand dusted the ground in immense proportions, the remains of those who have been devoured.

Kneeling limp between the two is Nathan, bound tight with cuffs and rope, his lip bled onto his splotchy uniform, the cloth splattered with red that does not appear to be his won, he is limp on the ground, hunched with closed eyes. Accepting perhaps.

The shape pulsed as it breathed, a loud obnoxious beat that rippled the large area with purple pulses, it's as though the object is alive, begging to be fed. And fed they did. The number of prisoners and personnel that have been offered to satiate this things hunger had molded it into a gluttonous beggar.

Doubt they had thought about what could become from doing so.

I watch Jeff's lips form a curse, his wide eyes scanning the threatening ball, his stare shift to me, a question, an obvious question that all three of them must be wanting an answer for.

"I don't know", the answer falls like a breath, a useless bundle of words.

"But that thing", I swallow, reimagining the way that person's body melted into a pile on the floor, "It's dangerous, very dangerous."

I may have stated the obvious, but verbalizing it seems to have struck differently.

Jonathan shifts beside me, narrowing his eyes as he crouches, "no point in dwelling, in and out, right?"

I can feel my lip twitch up in a smirk, repeating his worriless words.

"In and out."

The two robed personnel finished whatever they had discussed, lifts Nathan by the wrists, dragging him forward as his senses seem to have returned to him, he kicks and swore with wasteful effort.

Jane is the first to dash to intervene, spitting a quick whisper about the foolishness of owing someone with the rationality of a wafer cookie. She is quickly followed by Jeff, who, not wanting to be outdone, throws himself over the table with Jonathan steps behind.