Ch 31

The road to my containment is quiet, Dr. Morales avoided my questions, hesitating to look me in the eyes as though afraid of what he may see behind my mask, afraid to spout nonsense that may damage our already cracking relationship.

He didn't open the cell right away, he stood contemplating with handle in hand, his face pale and tired.

I had at lest expected him to inquire more on The Puppeteer, being so adamant about me not having known the entity in the past, I would go as far as to say he is sensitive about the subject. My assumption is dashed, his lips stretching into a fine line as he swallows his words, languorously opening the way for me to enter.

My heart shook slightly, I nodded to him sadly before wordlessly entering through the gate.

"I..." the doctor started as he began to shut the metal door, his voice shaky and quiet, "I still have hope for you, I will make sure you go back to smiling like you used to, before all of this."

My mind blanked out momentarily, out of all the things he could have said I was not expecting anything like that, I had not the time to retort as he shut and locked the door, leaving me to stare mindlessly.

With a grumble I spin around, freezing once again as my eyes lock with those of Helens azure ones, he watches me silently, his expression as placed as ever.

"(Y/N), we need to talk", his words shook me, his voice is not cold, but strained enough to cause a lump to form in my throat.

My sight quickly snapped to the wall, lingering away from my once friend who sat on the edge of the bed expectantly, I want to say something, but no sentence if forming in my mouth. His presence is suffocating, the situation an enigma to my naïve mind. Never, not once in my history of living had I had the need to work through strenuous situations involving another with my own ability, I had my luck after all.

Now though, luck is busy, it has no time to deal with my personal matters, leaving me to face the weight of my actions. I lick my lips nervously, I can feel my breathing shake, I can't to it, I am not ready, not mentally prepared for a conversation that could very well make or break our relationship.

I sank my teeth into my tongue, my eyes shifting every direction away from the person of interest, and, like the cowered I am, I bolted for the bathroom door, barricading myself into the smaller room and covering my ears to block out Helens calls.

My body slides down the wooden barrier, limply curving in on itself against the ground, I can't help but laugh at myself, I detested my luck before talking up this mission, now more then anything I want it back, to shield me from all the shit stressing the fuck out of me, maybe its not just this place that's hypocritical.

I try to suck in a breath, my throat squeezes itself tight, allowing little oxygen to my lungs, my eyes burn, sweat forming over my skin, my mind is quickly jumbling, nulling my surroundings gradually. I threw my mask across the room, trying to relive my face from unnecessary obstructions.

I gasp as my wrist shook, the small (F/C) digital watch shaking along with my hands, BEN looking up at me expressionlessly, his beady eyes lingering in my own, then he smiled, a quick action that enveloped both his lips and eyes, he tilted his head, snickering.

"Wow babe, you told me not to call you princess but seeing you like this it seems appropriate."

I closed my eyes, turning away from him, "Not now BEN, I don't want to hear it."

"Eh, I barely said anything", he scratched his chin, "you didn't get all teary eyed when you saw little bone bag Rake in that box."

"I'm not crying if that's what you-"