Ch46

The pop of gunshots are heard for every direction of the building, screams and yells, the stench of smoke and blood. It seems that within the half hour we had taken to retrieve Nathan the others have caused quite the stir.

"Seems they have started without us", Jonathan adjusts Nathans arm over his shoulder, hoisting the man up as he groans with discomfort, "this guy won't be any help, I'll throw him somewhere quiet before I make my way to the fun."

"Be careful Jonathan, they managed to contain you once", I warn.

Jonathan waves his free hand over his shoulder as he drags the stumbling man way, but I know he understands. They caught something like him once, who's to say they can't again.

"This is bullshit! I told you we should have left from the beginning, we could have been on the front lines tearing shit up!", Jeff threw his hands in the air, taking a step closer to the commotion happening close by, "Fuck, I could have a cold beer in my hands right now! meet up with that hoe on fifth, cheap bitch."

"I ignore his frantic growling, pulling Jane to the side so she may hear my words over the noise, "nothing left behind right, everyone's ready to get out of dodge?"

Her cracked mask lifts with a smile, giving a single, slow, wordless, nod.

"All done here, not a lot of people left in the building", the overhead speaker cries, crackly white noise almost drowns out BEN's voice.

"BEN, you midget fuck!", Jeff laughs, pointing a finger at the ceiling as though he is referring to the boy himself, "hope you didn't make us do all the fucking work while you sat on your ass."

"Oh please, I rerouted all the power supply, anything and everything should be wide open for you guys to walk out the front door", he pauses, "I wouldn't recommend that though, the front yard is barricaded with heavy artillery, got to love the US am I right?"

"Any recommendations on an exit then? last I checked this place was barred tight", my voice is tired as I speak, the exhaustion is making me heavy, blaming it on that little trick Zalgo did would not be unjustified.

"It was, until a pissed off testosterone filled sasquatch broke open the reinforced window bars and torpedoed headfirst through the safety glass, there is a massive ape sized hole in the common area now, should work nicely, though you have to pass by the barricade regardless, try to snag whatever you can from the dead around you."

My eyes shift down the hall leading to common, I nodded at Jane, "You mind giving BEN a hand? One of these guys should have a phone laying around."

She tilts her head, raising a brow.

"Please Jane", I lean forward, "I can't trust Jeff to do it and I have something to take care of."

She hums, as though in thought of my request, "I suppose I can help the gnome out, be nice to have him owe me."

"That's two people now, I am scared to hear what you have planned for us."

"Big things (y/n)", she pulls her mask out of the way of her face, leaning forward and meets me in the middle, I froze in place as she places her lips upon my cheek, a quick gimmick with intent to fluster me. It works well.

She spins on her heels not a moment later, eyeing Jeff with a smug sneer as he watches her leave with an open mouth.

She flips him the bird as she turns the corner, vanishing from our sight and leaving an awkward silence.

BEN's snicker is drowned out from the static, his amusement withheld as to not provoke.

I place a hand against the spot that still tingles with the sensation of her lips, looking off in the distance as my mind jumpstarts. That is until Jeff claws both of my shoulders and spins me around so fast my vision wobbles. His glare is intense, staring at my cheek with blatant intent. I place a hand over his mouth before he has the chance to lean forward.