Ch40

Have you ever had a moment when you are too tired to sleep?

It's an unfortunate reality I am living though as we speak. Idaly tossing and turning in the musky covers of the bedsheets, ignoring the slight throb that remains in my mind since my earlier episode, that distinct copper taste glazing my tongue when I swallow. The worse has to be Jeff.

The man snores horrendously, Limbs sprawled aimlessly intending to take up as much as his matrice as humanly possible. A gutteral gurgle that foams in the back of his throat as his tongue hang out his grotesquely wide gape.

No doubt there will be no sleep for me. Jeff had made a comment on how shitty I looked once I left the confinements of the bathroom, a corpse he called me, comparing such details to his personal and professional experience.

I ignore a muffled knock, putting it off as an auditory hallucination. I feel irritated as the wrapping repeats, over, and over, at a steady and ever growing hyme.

"Fucking hell...", I throw off my blankets while swearing, glaring at every corner of the room to try and identify the cause or culprit.

Again, the sound repeats, faster and harder then the others, the action irate and impatient. The wall whispers, muffled, hushed voices.

"Damn it Clocky, I told you to be quiet."

I place my ear to the stained and scarred wallpaper, trying to listen through the foam and concrete barrier. I can barely make out Jane's voice reprimanding Clockwork, her words hold irritation for the girls inconsequential action.

I run my hands over the wallpapers scarring, tearing away the skin in search for the point of interest.

Foam padding and corroded lumps of rock crumble to the ground, the material rotting with water damage and rusted stains. The crumbling thinned the rock enough to understand the words of those behind it.

I call to them, knocking back as hard as Clockwork must have. My knuckles burned after the first couple knocks. It is concrete after all.

"Finely, I thought you up and died on us", Clockwork gowns dramatically, obviously annoyed at my response time, her words are drooly, as though she pressed her face against the wall to respond.

Jane mumbles something to her, the broken wall still too thick despite the chipped out gape.

"Listen (y/n), I heard a scream down the hall not long ago, it's a large commotion. If you have a plan to get us out of here now would be the time."

Jane's words are slightly airy, I think I can hear panic, but with her normal composure I can not be sure.

"Someone you know?", I question, brows furrowing with concern for her possible distress.

For a moment she doesn't answer, "I can't be sure, but I think it was Nathan."

"... Shit."

I know the both of us have a good idea might be happening, the conversation halting and leaving me to contemplate the best course of action. Knowing Nathan, he will not go down without taking a few people with him.

I didn't plan on breaking out this soon, but considering the opportunity presented it is the best chance we have.

"Give me a minute to wake up sleeping beauty over here. Smart ass thinks he can do something about the door", with this words I spin on my heels, stalking toward the sleeping man who is crumpled hallway over the bedside, his mouth leaking drool onto the mattress.

I turn my nose up at him, "If he isn't bullshitting that is."

The sight of his eyes staring absently at the ceiling gives me goosebumps, but I hype myself into shaking him with all my might.