Ch34

Very little sleep was had that night.

I fell asleep to late and awoke far to early. The dark circles under my eyes are heavy and sore, face pale and placid, I can hardly bring myself to role off the hard mattress.

Helen looks just as bad, despite taking a shower only moments ago, his usual porcelain skin has lost its shine, the bags under his eyes outline the lid like mascara. He looks horrible, but the twitch in his lip and glow in his usual dead eyes tell me he is in no way put off.

He looks resolved.

The feeling is contagious, if we perform well, this could be our last week in here.

Helen barely managed to attach my watch to his wrist before our door is swung open, the strict lady with the clipboard standing in front of the glaring light of the hallway.

It's quiet in the halls unlike usual, derived of personnel who would routinely run from room to room with stacks of documents in hand.

Helen noticed this as well, we shared a concerned glance, keeping extra care in examining each passing hall.

We grew more unease in the cafeteria, there is fewer patients in the cafeteria then the week prior, cut down to a quarter then what once was.

The usual group of misfits took the table in the far corner, the lot of them keeping there voiced down unlike there usual rowdy attitude.

Jeff as well, he intentionally sat himself at the table next to ours, resting in the closest stool to my own. He looks off put, his eyes flashing toward the door whenever someone entered or left.

"Weird right?", Clockwork nudged her elbow into my side, a large unconcerned grin on her face, "not a lot of fun happinin' lately with so few friends around."

I gave her a perplexed look, that fact is dreadfully obvious.

"Care to fill us in?"

Helen straightens with my question, he himself wanted to ask, but with the current atmosphere it's hard to say much of anything.

There is a brief silence, each person looking over each other to see who would explain.

Nathan sighs, his brows nit and tight, "A lot of people have been going missing, not just patients anymore, you've noticed the lack of staff, right?"

A few of us nod, giving the man our full attention.

"A few of them where CP's..."

The air around the table stifled, heavy.

Angel taps the table, "Relax, it's no one we knew, yet at least."

"Oh-ho, and when was the last time you visited the other containments? how is Zero doing?", Janes sarcastic question is not well received, Angel's black eyes bore a sinister intent, easing up with Helens light pat on the shoulder.

"OK, alright, let's not turn on each other until after we get out of here, ok?", Helen sighs, running his slim fingers through his raven hair.

We lock eyes, I gave him a nod, standing to my feet without a word and turning on my heels.

"Jeff, I'm going to need to take a seat here", Helen ignored the disbelief of those at the table.

I throw open the doors to the yard, smiling to myself as I marvel at Helen's stern words.

"I have a proposal for you all..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

The yard is just as empty as the rest of the building, more so I would say.