Ch18

"Soon"

The only words I could muster to reassure this sad soul.

Looking into all the small cages these individuals must reside in has reminded me how free I am. My freedom to wonder, to scheme without worry.

How unfair of me.

My fists clenched tightly, I could feel my resolve burning. I had only thought of these people as my means to my end, get them out, get my wish, thinking only of my desire to die.

Maybe the diagnosis was not totally off, perhaps I am a little narcissistic.

Jack nodded at my words, murmuring with his unnaturally deep voice, "... you work for him but... You are no Proxy, are you?"

I remove my mask from my face, running my finger across the melted texture, an acknowledging smirk on my face, "Maybe not, but I still accepted the job. Don't worry Eyeless, you will feel the sun again"

I turn on my heels, mask held at my side in a tight grip, and intending to join Dr. M on the other side of the corner.

"Ill make sure of it"

I peeked around the corner, scanning the dimly lit hall for the doctor, who stood from the bench he had been reading a magazine on, placing the thin publication with the others that sat atop a short side table.

He smiled at me, that smile grew when he noticed the mask off my face, "You took longer than I had thought, Jack is not one for conversation, but it seems you two have had quiet the chat, mind telling me what about?"

"Nothing interesting, some sad thoughts"

He nodded, a content gleam shown in his eyes as he looked at me, "you understand now, right? you... are not like these people, these beings."

He placed his hand on my shoulder, rubbing them soothingly, I stiffened at his touch.

"You are but a lost spirit in the fog, I want to be the hand you trust to lead you out of it" his phone vibrates, pulling me from my emotional moment, my chest hurt again, my eyes burn as though tears would fall.

This man.

I want to protect him.

My mouth fell open, wanting to voice the feeling but was cut off by Dr. Morales as he repocketed the device, "We must go now, it seems I am needed elsewhere. Come, ill return you too your cell to rest."

He took a hold of my hand, gently leading me through the corridors once again, he looked as though he felt accomplished, I still don't completely understand his reasoning behind his actions, or what he wishes to come of said actions, but I do know it has been a long while sense I had a clear head.

The glint of a door halted my feet, this looks like a containment door, solid metal, tall, but it stood in such an odd location, like it excesses a room instead of a separate facility.

My stopping pulled the doctor back as well, he looked me over confused before glancing at the door I stood staring at in concentration, he chuckled, "Would you like to take a look?"

"Can I? it looks like somewhere I should not be"

He punched in a passcode on the left side of the frame, the doors opened to a blacked-out room, he looked back with a smile, taking the lead through the doors.

I stepped into the lightless room cautiously but slumped in disappointment as it seemed to be nothing but a storage.

"This is Item containment"

I stiffened, my eyes widened, mouth hung open, I looked over Dr. Morales smiling face, "Interesting is it not, the knowledge we lack does not stem only from the living, but also to the inanimate."

I held my breath, looking up and down the racks of objects that carefully lined the shelves, stuffed animals, mirrors, furniture, and plenty of other ordinary looking items sat behind pristine glass.

The doctor joined me at my side, looking over the room alongside me, "Apparently they even got the original Annabelle, could not find it for the life of me in this mess though"

His hand rested on my forearm as I took a step forward, I grit my teeth when I saw the serious look on his face.

"We can't go any further than the threshold, sorry (Y/N)"

I held his gaze for a moment, contemplating if I could change his mind or not. Unfortunately, I would not get the chance as he exited the room and waited for me by the door before getting a response.

Sighing in defeat I glanced at the watch around my wrist, now is not the moment to force my way into a situation, its far too late anyways.

Far too late.