Ch36

My lip twitched through a forced smile, both the doctor and Heather sat across from my seat, there scrutinizing gaze burning into me.

My shoulders are slumped forward awkwardly, subconsciously trying to act small before them. I feel like stuck, about to be lectured like I was caught smoking. This is my first time seeing the doctors face so red, his fists clenched tightly in restraint, mad, no livid, he is filled with growing disappointment.

I sit silently, it is not my right to speak first, I'm to lost to do so, I have a cracky grin, but my eyes refuse to look at the man before me. Shame, just a small feeling of shame, the reasoning behind such a sensation alludes me.

"How long?", his voice is monotone, withheld, and harsh, "how long where you going to lie to my face?"

I hum, shifting slightly, hands in my lap protectively, "I don't know what you are talking about."

"Damn it (y/n)! Stop trying to-", he sighs, rubbing his face with his palms, looking to be on the verge of tears, "stop trying to protect these monsters."

My fake smile broke, replaced with a glare, he narrows his eyes in return, expression stoic yet hurt.

"Why?" My voice is just above a whisper, hard and low, "you give up on them so easily, yet, you refuse to leave me be, what is the difference between them and me at this point?"

The doctor's eyes widen, his lips quiver, looking down at his lap, "there is a difference, I know there is", he looks back to me, his eyes shift around as he tries to find the right words, not wanting to say something that may strike a chord, "please don't get me wrong, I feel for my patients, I pity them, but it is only to the extent of knowing it was society that made them who they are, I may be able to fix a broken vase, but it can no longer hold the water it once held", his lip formed into a soft smile, "you (y/n), are not broken, maybe a little cracked, but I will hold you together as long as I can."

'You're doing a pretty bad fucking job', my thoughts buzz around my head, I can feel my nostrils flare.

The doctor can see the disdain from my eyes, he deflates, sinking back into his seat quietly.

The strained silence is filled by Heathers shuffling, she politely gave us space to talk among ourselves while she attempts to tidy up the mess on the floor. she sighs with relief while gazing at the fob left to look untouched alongside the mass of papers. She must have been weary of the idea the one drawer pointed out in our interaction had been lonely ripped apart, stressing I may have done so shoaly for said object.

The doctor also looks relieved as Heather dangled the object from where she kneels, offering Dr.M a comforting smile.

The doctor clears this throat, his voice falling gently as his red colour gradually fades, "I- I am sorry for not considering the possibility of your gift being stolen."

My brows furrow, not understanding the change in conversation.

"The watch, your roommate stole it yes? I am unfortunately unable to retrieve it or replace it, I am sorry", he did me a once over, observing my expression, "that is why you tore this room apart, right? To retrieve what you have lost?"

"... sure."

Honestly, the watch slipped my mind after being attacked by that clown/mime thing. He is likely asking due to speculation, while I still had BEN with me he had attempted to retake his gift after all, hopefully my lack of reaction will make him second guess himself.

Heather cleared her throat, more conscious of my presence compared to before this incident, she stood a safe distance, "as for the brand-"

"Ah", the doctor sucks in a breath, rubbing at his forehead, "I asked you not to bring that up."