Pain |w.v|

WC: 3217 (I don't feel like separating it 💀)
TW: pills, anxiety, and cussing
~~~~~~~~~
I've been busting my ass today at my new job. I'm a production runner, if you could call it that. The majority of my job is running around and getting coffees or scripts. Essentially I just help everyone out and get whatever they need. Well today, unfortunately, there was a big issue on set.

A light fixture happened to break and they had to borrow one from the next studio over. Since it was limited crew, and everyone else was busy, they asked if I could do it. I wanted to say no but I also wanted to go home quicker so I agreed. I went over to the studio and they had it waiting on a cart.

The fucker was heavy and I struggled to even push it. I gained momentum and basically jogged it over. Coming to a stop was also a problem. Having to use almost all my strength to stop it from rolling away. Once I got it into the studio I carefully wheeled it over to the designated spot. Right under where it's to be hung.

They'd given me verbal directions. Which I didn't really like, but it's literally a part of my job description that I'm supposed to be able to take extensive verbal direction. I have a pretty good memory, short term anyway, so I'm pretty confident. My problem here is getting this big bitch to the ceiling.

"Hey George!" I yell over to him and he jogs over quickly. "Yeah?" He asks sort of distracted, everyone's been so all over the place today so I get it. "I need a little help getting this up. If you could just sort of pull this cord to lift it, that'd be great" I tell him.

He looks behind him and agrees, putting down his countless papers and standing ready. I get on the genie lift and wait as it goes up until I'm at the right height. "Ok I'm ready now" I yell down to him. We both pull the tension rope getting it to rise and I reach out for it once it's high enough.

I grunt as I pull it towards my body and still have to lift it up onto the ceiling bracket. "All good?" George yells up and I just don't reply because I can't fathom speaking right now. I manage to get it above my head and I pant as it's so fucking heavy. I go to attach the mounting loop to the ceiling hook and I miss, of course.

I quickly gather myself as dropping this bitch isn't an option. I go for it a second time and I can feel it but I'm not high enough so I go on my tippy toes. Big. Mistake. I feel my back pull and it takes everything in me not to scream. "Fuck it" I mumble to myself and just go full force putting it up there.

Luckily, I get it and I literally fall back against the gate of the genie. Grabbing ahold of the sides to steady myself as it rocks a bit. I lower it and once I'm on the ground I just sit on the floor. "Ahh y/n. Thank you so much, you're a lifesaver" the DP, Mark, says. "Mhm" I hum back while closing my eyes.

"You can go ahead and head home for the day, I know that was probably a lot" he sympathizes. A lot? A lot?! Motherfucker I almost broke my back! "Thanks" I reply and he just nods before heading off to wherever he came from. I grab my things and head out to the car, immediately starting it and going home.
—————————————————
Once I'm at the house I go inside as quickly as I physically can. My eyes immediately landing on my girlfriend perched on the couch. "Hi baby" I say tiredly and she turns around and smiles. Grabbing her cane and making her way over to me. I meet her halfway, trying my best not to limp, and she pulls me in her embrace.

Her arm going to my lower back making me tense as she pulls me closer. I think she feels it because she quickly lets go and frowns a bit. "What's wrong?" She asks looking in my eyes with confusion reflecting in hers. "Nothing... just had a rough day" I reply with a tired smile.

She nods and I can tell she doesn't quite believe me but she lets it go. "I'm gonna go take a shower" I say "alright" she replies. I head up to our bedroom, stripping out of my clothes. I lock the door momentarily and turn my back to the full length mirror. I see it's red and I lightly brush my fingers against it and wince.