Chapter 98.)

"You ever thought about getting more help from tha' state?" Lucky asked his mom as they walked to the corner store. It was another icy day in Philly but Lucky always looked forward to a good cheesesteak, especially whenever his mom offered to treat him.

Zoya thought about getting on some sort of housing assistance countless times but was already paranoid about receiving food stamps while trying to steer clear of her abusive ex. There was no telling how far he'd go to find her and Lucky. She already felt like she was seeing Hakim in the shadows, she was not prepared for that.

"We're fine with the stamps," she answered.

"They don't last a long time tho, ma... we run out so quickly."

"I get enough for the three of us but I told you..."

"You let him use it," he grumbled, "ma..." he took a deep breath, "he is a grown man, we need those more than he does."

"I know," was her common response.

Lucky remained silent as they headed into the store but as always it was packed. Loud conversation, humid from the stoves being on, but smelled like home to Lucky. This was Philly.

"Wass' good, Zoya?!"

"Hey, Pap," she waved.

"Lil goon?"

"Wass' good, Pap," Lucky gave a nod as he stood behind his mom.

Zoya chuckled to herself. No matter what she said, Lucky always felt the need to be on guard for her.

"We getting some'n for Cam?" He decided to ask.

"Only thing she likes to eat from here are the fries... I'm wondering if my baby is from here or not."

Amused, Lucky shook his head, "she is a child,"

"Even kids love a good cheesesteak or hoagie."

"Not your lil Sunshine," he chuckled, "she'll be happy with tha' fries," he added.

"Are you ever gonna stop being like this," she motioned toward his protective demeanor.

"Nope," he casually replied, "ain't nobody finna catch us lacking."

"Ain't nobody thinking about robbing us, Ra," she laughed.

"Wish our home could say dat," he replied.

"That is a different story... look at where we stay."

"Which is why I'm always on my toes," he clarified.

"When you find your woman, I hope she can knock some sense into you, my stubborn little, bodyguard."

"Not stubborn," he cracked a smile, "and if she's anything like you, I'll be tha' same."

Zoya shook her head. She knew her son was different but couldn't blame him. He was wiser than most his age and she knew it was due to the environment she exposed him and Camille to. She could only pray that his life would be better a decade from now.

"Who were those boys you were talking to down the street?" Zoya queried as she worked on Camille's hair.

"Just some friends," Lucky shrugged, placing a new bag into the trash can.

"Those friends looked as if they were up to no good, Ra... you ain't out there tryna slang behind my back are you?"

Lucky frowned. "Ma... why would I do some'n stupid like dat knowing how you are?"