Chapter 43.) Check In

It was August the 9th, two weeks since King and Lucky left and so far, everything was okay. Kairo was keeping an eye on Ava and Zora, as well as Renae but she was perfectly fine. She knew King and was more than experienced to know that he and Lucky would be okay. The family wasn't waiting for Ava to break down but they were prepared just in case.

Hakim stopped by a few hours before Lucky planned to leave and they discussed a couple of things. There were three weeks left until the kids had to go back to school, so work for Ava was exactly what she needed; busy.

It was cloudy with a slim chance of rain. The wind was blowing and the air smelled like freshly cut grass. Assyria was off and decided to spend the day with Essence. They went on a movie date two nights ago and went bowling yesterday morning. Their relationship was growing and it scared Assyria. Falling in love was something she was desperately trying to avoid but the way Essence was, Assyria knew she couldn't deny her feelings much longer. 

But until then, she would.

"I forgot to tell you, my mom asked how close we were," Essence revealed as she and Assyria shared a sundae from Cold Stone.

"Uh-oh, how'd dat go?"

"I lied," she shamefully admitted. "I know my parents Sy, soon as they find out I'm a lesbian, they'll put me out."

"Somebody needs to talk some sense into them, living in fear is not something you should have to do... what are you gonna do if they try to set you up on a date with a man?"

Essence sighed, "I don't know, I haven't thought about that. But I think she believed the lie, I just told her we were best friends... technically, we are."

Assyria shook her head, "I'm going to refrain from commenting... what movie are we watching tonight?"

"No clue, you were supposed to choose."

"Oh," she laughed, "I'll search later then."

"How's your sister?"

"Pretty good, she's been popping in with Zo. Everyone gets a kick out of her, a mini fashion icon."

Essence smiled, "Ava does dress her nice, lil mama has swag."

"I'm sure she'll follow in Ava's footsteps when she's older."

"I agree."

"Yup... you look good by the way," Essence complimented.

"Whatever," Assyria tried not to smile.

"I'm serious, it's the everything for me,"

"You just want some."

Essence gasped, "Sy bye!" She laughed, "your mind is always in the gutter, nasty self."

It was Assyria's turn to gasp, "me?! You mean you, miss always tryna take a bite."

"What's wrong with biting?"

"I am not food," Assyria chuckled.

"You're my food," she smirked slyly.

Playfully rolling her eyes, Assyria opened her bottled water. "Don't start your mess."

"Scary butt, it's harmless flirting."

"We have different definitions of harmless," Assyria clarified.

"Touché," grinning, Essence checked her phone, "darn it, I gotta go before I'm late."

Gathering their things, Assyria followed behind her, "what time is tha' service over?"