Chapter 23.) Turning Pages

"She is sooo curious," Ava said as she and Lucky lay in bed with Zora in the middle and Ace at the foot of the bed.

"She feels like she gon' miss something if she goes to sleep," Lucky replied then smiled when Zora tugged on his arm.

"When you were... y'know... taking a long nap, I'll say, she was so cranky. She always seemed to calm down more around everyone else, it felt like anything dat I tried was just so wrong."

"You were hella overwhelmed, I'm sure she felt your energy... probably shook her up a bit," he told her.

"Yeah... I guess," she mumbled, "your aunt is coming up here soon... are you ready to have dat conversation with her?"

Lucky shrugged, "She's been lying to me since we've met... I ain't letting it go on."

"Are you sure about inviting your da- Hakim as well? Dat might be an issue."

"An issue for her maybe, not me," he said as he placed Zora on his stomach.

"I wonder why she lied... well, kept dat from you. He said dat he knew your mom and Jess for three decades? So did she live in Philly or was he one of those who liked to have women in different cities?" she queried.

"You're wondering tha' same as me. Honestly tho... I don't care, it's tha' fact dat she knew but continued to mess with him... das' trifling as hell."

"I wanna give her tha' benefit of tha' doubt so bad... Lord, I really do, but she's been acting funny ever since tha' incident."

"She blamed you, didn't she?" he glanced at her.

Ava never relayed any details about the way his aunt acted up, but he knew his aunt well enough to know that if it made her feel better to blame someone else for something bad happening, she'd do it. That's one bad trait that she inflicted on Camille.

"What made you ask dat?"

Lucky chuckled, "You see tha' good in people even when they don't deserve it and even after my sister was over here acting a damn mess, you still kept in contact with her... I know how my aunt is... so I'm pretty sure she came at you or your moms when I got shot, right or wrong?"

Ava pursed her lips, "What if I decline to answer?"

"You just told on yourself," he laughed.

"I prefer not to talk bad about your family,"

"Wait until we get married... you gon' change your mind real quick," he chuckled.

Ava squinted at him, "What is dat supposed mean?"

Remaining quiet just for the hell of it, Lucky messed with Zora's necklace momentarily but could feel Ava's eyes on him.

3...2...1

"Ramsee?"

Smirking. Lucky glanced at her, "Love?"

"What is dat supposed to mean?"

"I'm just saying... I like my space, I interact and call 'em when I'm in tha' mood but since they know you don't mind having conversations... you gon' see anotha' side of 'em... maybe just Cam, 'cause if dis conversation with my aunt goes south, shorty getting cut tha' fuck out of my life," he stated flatly.

"Now I'm starting to wish I could rewind time... I'm not ready for dis," she groaned.

"We also need to discuss something else," he said as he sat up and placed Zora beside Ace since she was dozing off. Laying back, Lucky turned on his side and stared at Ava seriously, "you know when I'm back to my old self... I'ma have to disappear for a moment."