Chapter 4.) Waiting

Being a new mom is challenging and time-consuming but it is a blessing in itself. Giving birth to a new life despite the many obstacles thrown your way deserves praise and grace. Life is already a hassle as is but to bring a life into a world that can be so cruel, is tricky. You can either hit or miss but most times, the joy that a mother receives from their child is the only peace they need to keep pushing forward.

Putting someone else's happiness and well-being ahead of yours shows grace. Sacrifice. To teach the hard lessons that you had to learn and grow from. To do the right thing even when you're not sure what the right thing is, it's a lot of work. A significant work in progress but patience is key. You have to learn how to forgive yourself if the first option doesn't work because nobody becomes perfect overnight.

It takes time and a lot of learning. What works for some, will not work for others, but the key to parenthood is to grow with your child because they are depending on you and they're just as afraid as you are.

In this difficult situation, Ava felt like she had the weight of the world on her shoulders. Her daughter was in the NICU, and Lucky was in recovery currently in a coma. It was November the 21st and after multiple surgeries, his body rejected the blood transfusion a day later. That had to have been the scariest moment of Ava's life.

She had no idea what to do and was still trying to process Lucky's father being alive and under the same building as them. Ava had no idea how Lucky would feel if he were up but although they all had a bad taste in their mouths about Hakim, they were appreciative that he gave a kidney and donated blood.

Ary's wasn't a good match, but Camille's, Dajon's, and Kairo's were fine and that was good enough for the doctors. He did stop breathing a week later out of nowhere but was quickly revived. Ava was beginning to question Lucky's aunt and Camille's motives in regards to Hakim magically popping up but Camille swore that she had no idea that their aunt was in contact with Hakim.

Ava wasn't sure if she believed her but she knew Lucky would get the answers out of her. It's only been three weeks since the shooting and she was still in the hospital, refusing to leave until baby Zora was fine and until she got better information on Lucky.

The police came in for questioning two days after the shooting. They would have come the same day but Von ordered them not to and gave Dajon a heads up when they were on their way. The family didn't know what information they thought they were going to get because nobody said anything. King and Kwan were prepared to do whatever needed to be done but Ava had no idea if it was Frank who did the shooting or somebody else that had some kind of beef with Lucky.

She knew the smart thing to do was to tell them that Frank was the culprit but she didn't know anything about the conversation that Lucky and he exchanged moments before the shooting. So to her, she figured it was just a hit.

"You're supposed to be resting," Renae said, staring at Ava as she stood over the incubator staring at Zora as she slept.

"I just wanted to check on her."

"You gotta get back to your room, Ava, come on. Lucky will kick our asses if something happens to you."

Smiling at the mention of him, Ava's eyes lingered on their daughter before she turned away, "What are you doing here? I thought everyone left yesterday?"

"Michelle called me and so did Doctor Abara... are you eating?"

"Yes," she answered.

"Are you giving the nurses a hard time?"

"Maybe," she mumbled and Renae laughed.

"You can't do that, they're just looking out."

"Says the woman who tried to fight in here," Ava cut her eyes at her and Renae smirked.