Chapter 90.) The Nearness of You

It was November 14th, Sinclair's 22nd birthday. November was usually a chilly month but nature seemed to be on Sinclair's side as she anxiously awaited Dante's arrival. She still had no idea where they were going but after he texted her suggesting different attire, she felt a bit more comfortable yet anxious.

She settled on a backless, halter top, denim jeans with a single tear on the left knee area, and dark beige heel-like sandals. Accessories included her favorite gold necklace, a gold watch, an ankle bracelet to match, and mini hoops that her mom encouraged her to wear. Since she was always bare-faced around Dante, she went ahead and did a natural beat and rocked a middle part, wave sew-in.

This would be her first real date and she truly had no idea if she was under-dressed or rightfully dressed for the occasion. When Dante told her not to wear a dress but think denim, a million outfits came to mind and she settle for a bit of a cool color scheme. She just hoped things turned out smoothly.

With Billie Holiday playing softly in the background to calm her nerves, Sinclair scrolled through Pinterest in hopes of finding some conversation tips to use on their date. She couldn't understand why she was searching as if she and Dante hadn't had a million conversations already.

"Call from Mom," Siri announced.

"Lordy," sighing, Sinclair answered just for her mom to Facetime her.

"Place the phone up and let me see your fit," Mrs. Nash told her.

"Hello to you too," Sinclair spoke sarcastically before doing as requested.

"Girlllllllllllllllla!" Mrs. Nash grinned, "you get it from your mama,"

Unable to stop herself from blushing, Sinclair enjoyed the compliments.

"Has he said where he's taking you yet?"

"Nope, I stopped asking," she signed, "hopefully it's not a fancy place because I don't think jeans are dressy."

"If you know how to work 'em they are," Mrs. Nash replied, "you look good birthday girl, I want you to have a good time. Remember you are a beautiful, extremely smart, black woman and any man would be lucky to experience your vibe. Smile, enjoy yourself, be unapologetically you, and know that your grandparents are smiling down at you, ok?"

"I hear you," Sinclair smiled, "thank you."

"You're welcome, I love you. Your father wants me to tell you that he'll be sitting with his shotgun if that young man acts up."

Sinclair laughed, "Tell him to have some faith in me."

"You know I did, but I'ma let you go, I love you!"

"I love you," she replied before ending the call.

The music resumed and Sinclair gave herself another look before heading into the living room just as someone knocked on the door. Growing nervous, Sinclair gave herself a pep talk, inspected her appearance, then went to answer the door. Dante stood in front of her holding a bouquet of pink tulips, a stuffed teddy bear, and birthday balloons. He sported cornrows with a nice edge-up, a gray beanie on his head, a dark gray sweatshirt, denim pants, and a few jewels to jazz it up a bit.

 He sported cornrows with a nice edge-up, a gray beanie on his head, a dark gray sweatshirt, denim pants, and a few jewels to jazz it up a bit