Chapter 84.) 8 Years from now...

Two days ago, winter's storm had come screeching through the east coast like a Banshee. Roads were sleek with black ice, homes were covered in a heavy arctic white blanket, with the constant flow of flurries flying all over. The harsh weather was choking the city with its frosty breath but the Stone family seemed to be enjoying life on their newfound private acres of land.

Standing in the kitchen, clothed in one of her favorite oversized buttoned-up flannels, fuzzy slippers on her feet, with the smell of buttermilk pancakes and french toast filling the two-story home, Ava sipped on her mug of hot chai tea as she watched the dogs run around in the snow.

On the other side of the home, Lucky, Kairo, and Zaire were taking turns chopping wood while cracking jokes. The Stone family had collectively agreed to purchase land for the family and the future generation to come. Once things were official, construction began. Three years, 5 acres, a boatload of money, sleepless nights, corrected errors, and multiple previews later, each couple had their private home with the family home in the middle for holidays and get-togethers.

It was the biggest thing that King ever thought about investing in, and was glad that he went through with Kairo's plan because there was a piece of everyone on the land. There was a rule that everyone followed; no random pop-ups before lunchtime unless there was an emergency.

"Mama! Ravyn done hurt herself!" 10-year-old Zora's voice cut into Ava's daze.

Before Ava could ask, her youngest entered the home crying her head off while Karter carried her on his back. It took a moment for Ava to say anything, given that her youngest kids tended to ignore her warnings and wanted to be daredevils like their cousins Neela and Omari. If Ava had a dollar for any time Ravyn or Karter came home with new bruises, she'd be richer than she already was.

"What happened?" Ava went ahead and asked as she lifted her stubborn 5-year-old.

"I told her not to swing upside down from the tree 'cause you already told us not to be outside getting hurt like we have a free hospital up the street," Zora began to explain in her thick accent.

If it wasn't a serious matter, Ava would have thrown her head back in laughter. The older Zora got, the more of Ava's attitude she picked up along with her father's intellect and a low tolerance for nonsense.

"You know she hardheaded, so when Mari dared her to do it, her stubborn self climbed up the tree, tried to hang upside down, and fell soon as she started swingin'," Zora stared at her baby sister, shook her head, then headed outside.

"So you're in pain?" Ava asked Rayvn as she placed her on top of the counter.

Karter stood on the other side and rubbed her back with a soft frown on his face. He was sure Lucky would be ready to scold him once he heard about the incident.

"I hurt my head..."

"There's nothing on your head but snow and dirt," Ava attempted not to chuckle, "baby girl why must you be so wild? What have I told you about trying to be like one of tha' boys?"

"Dad said she acts like a tomboy, what's wrong with ha' doing dat?" Karter was offended. How dare she try to come for his baby sister.

Ava glanced at him and smirked. Karter adopted a mixture of his father's, and uncle's accents, on top of a country accent. But they flowed fluently whenever he was upset.

"I'm jus' saying," he corrected himself, "Ray you good, right? Jus' a lil bruise."

Calming her crying fit, Rayvn nodded. "I'm okay," she spoke more to Ava.