The Tell (Part 6)

THE PARENT/TEACHER CONFERENCE

It was late at night at the Beacon Hills High School. 

Jackson Whittemore,

Mr. Harris was sitting in his class in front of Jackson's parents - Mr. and Mrs. Whittemore. He held Jackson's report in hand as he began to talk to the 2 parents, "Jackson's a highly motivated student. In fact, I'd describe him as 'unusually driven.'"

"Yeah, we were hoping he might ease up on himself a little. He's always been real hard on himself. It's just, you know, something we assumed was an effect of him being adopted." Mr. Whittemore replied.

Harris nodded his head, "I think I understand. He's never met his biological parents?"

"Yeah, that's right. It's the need to please, the overachieving, the desire to make someone proud...someone he's never even met." Mr. Whittemore continued.

"Something certainly seems to have re-calibrated his desire for achievement several notches higher. Not to be blunt about it, but he seems almost... obsessed." Harris continued.

Adalind Schade,

Elijah was currently sitting in front of Ms. Ramsey with his legs crossed a smile on his face, "So I can assume you are her official guardian?" she asked.

He nodded her head, "That is correct." he answered.

"Okay, then. Well let's get to it. If I could describe Adalind in 1 word, it's... remarkable. She's truly a hard worker. She's a good team-player, amazing AP scores, GPA. She's the best student I've ever had the pleasure of teaching. Lydia Martin is a close second though." she said with a smile, very much impressed by Adalind's work. 

Elijah smiled back, "Well that is very good to know. She's had a good teacher." he said.

Ramsey cocked an eyebrow at him, wondering what he meant by that before continuing on, "Well, uh, there is 1 thing though." she said.

Elijah crinkled his eyebrows, "What is it?" he asked.

"As wonderful a student as she is, she... she seems unfocused at times. It sometimes seems like she's on a mission, wanting to accomplish something. Not that she isn't focused at times, she very much is. But it seems like it could come from a lack of parental figure..." she continued, making Elijah look at her in confusion. He was about to say something, but Ramsey quickly interjected, "Not by you, I mean. I mean in a lack of biological parental figure. But still a small bit you... From what I understand, you travel quite a bit. During her time here all I have seen so far is her bodyguard picking her up. Not at all to judge your parenting skills." she told him.

Elijah shook his head, "No, no. I understand completely... I can see that at times. Her biological father was what you would call a charlatan. He was not truly there for her as a child. Her mother on the otherhand... was never there to begin with. She left before Adalind could remember anything of her. I knew Adalind's father from... work, and that's when I took her in and taught her everything I know. Me and my family has always been there for her." 

"Ah, yes. Your family. How are their connection with her?" she replied.

Elijah sighed to think. Kol? Rebekah? Finn?... Klaus... He then began to chuckle before quickly realizing the awkward situation, "Oh, my apologies... My family is... complicated. Adalind doesn't necessarily have a pleasing relationship with my brother. And she has never had the chance to meet the rest of my family." he explained.

"What's the relationship like? With your brother? For both you and Adalind?" she asked.

"My brother and I also have a complicated history. I am currently setting him on a path to make him a better man. I can surely say there is a slight improvement compared to when I began this mission. And he does not have a good relationship with her either..." Elijah said.