Episode 2: Second Chance at First Line and Life (Part 6)

Before Stiles' father could answer, Nick walked up to them, just ending his call, "It's Derek. He's been let go."

Matt's and Stiles' mouth fell wide open. They both knew there probably wasn't enough evidence, mainly because that's what Nick told them. "WHAT!?" they both yelled. Nick shrugged as Stiles sighed in his hands, "How..." Stiles asked, his face still lying in his hands.

"The medical examiner determined killer of girl to be animal, not human. Derek's a human, not animal. Not only that, the medical examiner determined the ID of the body... It's Laura Hale? Derek's sister... sorry I gotta go." Stiles' dad said before walked off. 

Stiles threw his hands in the air as Matt brushed his hand through his black hair, "Derek's sister? I'm guessing they let him go is because... technically he's a human?" Matt asked. 

Nick nodded his head, "Yeah. That's actually why so many wesen get away with their murders. That's why we're here... I gotta go." he said before also walking off. 

Stiles, who was standing next to Matt, quickly remembered something. Scott. He grabbed Matt by the arm with his hand on Matt's chest, "Scott... We gotta tell Scott!" he told him. Stiles quickly ran off with Matt following close behind. 

Eventually, they made their way to the Boy's Locker Room/Shower. They ran into the shower Stiles' arms and legs flailing about wildly, not realizing what they were interrupting until they gets into the shower room. They immediately got a guilty look on their faces when they realized they just crashed Scott's first real romantic moment with Allison, making them duck out of the shower room to give them some privacy. 

After a moment, Stiles' and Matt's curiosity got the better of them, and they silently ducked back in to see Allison and Scott making out again, with Allison gripping Scott's elbow to pull him closer. When they finally broke apart again, they kept their foreheads pressed together as Allison giggled happily. She shifted so their noses were now pressed together as well before looking Scott in the eyes with a giddy sort of nervousness, "I, um..." Allison finally forced herself to take a step back away from Scott, who was smiling widely, "...Gotta get back to my dad." she continued. 

She gave Scott one last peck on the lips before turning to leave, causing Stiles and Matt to frantically try to act like they wasn't just watching them make out and failed miserably. Allison took it in stride, though, and politely greeted him before she walked past him to return to the field to leave with her dad, "Hi, Stiles... Hi, Matt." she greeted. 

Stiles awkwardly returned the sentiment as she passed him, "Hey. Yeah." he said. Matt awkwardly just waved his hand at her then brought it back down.

Once Allison was gone, Matt rolled his eyes and waited until she was out of earshot while Scott, dazed in the afterglow of his romantic interlude with Allison, walked over to them with the cheesiest grin on his face, "I kissed her." he said in amazement.

Stiles and Matt, both clearly finding Scott's dopey demeanor tedious, nods patronizingly, "We CLEARLY saw." Matt stated.

Scott was unbothered by Stiles' and Matt's lack of excitement for him, "She kissed me." he said again.

Stiles made a face but continued to humor him, "Saw that, too. That's pretty good, huh?" he asked him.

Even without his kiss with Allison and reassurance that she was still interested in him, Scott had a much more positive outlook on his future now and he shared it with Stiles, "I-I-I don't know how, but I controlled it. I pulled it back. Maybe I can do this? Maybe it's not that bad?"

Matt, seeing how truly happy and at peace Scott currently was, decided he didn't want to spoil his mood and tried to beg off, "Yeah..." he said. Stiles had the same thought.

Stiles chuckled nervously, "Heh... we'll talk later, then..." Stiles tells Scott. Stiles and Matt both pat Scott on the shoulder affectionately and turned to leave, but Scott, still able to read Stiles and Matt perfectly in spite of his many current distractions, grabbed Matt by the shoulder and forced him to turn around to tell him what's going on, causing stiles to turn around as well as Scott's smile dimmed, "What?"

Stiles and Matt sighed, not wanting to spoil Scott's positive attitude but also knowing that this information was important and needed to be shared, before Stiles ultimately confessing what they just learned, "The, uh, medical examiner looked at the other half of the body we found..." he explained.

Scott raised his eyebrows, not sure where Stiles was going with this, "...And?"

Sties then explained, "Well, I'll keep it simple. Medical examiner determines killer of girl to be animal, not human. Derek's human, not animal. Derek? Not killer. Derek? Let out of jail."

Scott gaped at Matt Stiles in shock, appalled by this news, "Are you kidding?"

Matt grimaced, making it clear that they were just as unsettled by this news as Scott was, "No, and here's a bigger kick in the ass-- Stiles' dad ID'd the dead girl. Both halves. Her name was Laura Hale." Matt told him.

Scott's jaw dropped even more when he put the pieces together, "Hale?"

Stiles huffed an anxious laugh before grimacing again, "Derek's sister." Scott, Matt, and Stiles stared at each other in shock and confusion as to what this all meant. Little did they know, outside of the room, Adiland was listening in on the whole conversation until she finally walked away.

I apologize for this chapter being shorter than the rest. The rest will be much longer though.