Part Three: Chapter 89

This woman...who is she?

I don't recognize her at all. But if she was sent by Oliver, then she could be a member of Shadowbane. I wouldn't put it past him. But I thought he would have found someone who didn't have any connection to Dahi or himself.

"Who are you? What is your name?" I questioned.

"Sagiri." the woman answered quickly as she lowered her hand.

"You said Lord Baldwin, correct? How much is he paying you?"

"Do you really think I would give up that information? Or are you trying to offer me more money to save your life?"

Saving my life doesn't matter right now. I turned to Min-ji. Her ankles were bruised and swollen. Did Sagiri break her ankles?

"You should be proud of that little girl." Sagiri laughed. "She tried to fight off my puppets."

"Your puppets?" I murmured.

"Yes." raising her hands above her head, the debris at her feet began to shift. Bodies pulled themselves from under the wooden crates and barrels. Their movements were unnaturally stiff.

"What..are those...?"

"These?" she laughed. "Oh, they aren't much really. It took a while to take this many people from the city."

"...So you've been kidnapping people from the city...for this?"

"For you." she smiled. "You're the one I'm after. I need to be prepared."

I glanced over my shoulder at Min-ji. I have to get her out of here. But if she can't move...how am I going to do that? I don't know how much I can do with the manna I have been able to collect over the past several days. And it's been a while since I've fought anyone. If I can at least create a barrier then I'm pretty sure I can take her down. It might be tough. I might get hit a few times. But that's alright if it means Min-ji can safely return to the palace.

"Min-ji." I turned to her and gave her a quick peck on her forehead. "I know you probably can't move on your own. But I need you to stay right where you are." I drew a horizontal line in the air between us. "I don't know how strong my barrier will be or even how long it will last. So promise me that you won't move from this spot."

Min-ji nodded her head. "Yes, I promise."

I pat her head, then turned my back to her. I walked to the center of the warehouse and took a look around. There wasn't much that I could use to give me an advantage. I walked to a pile of debris and pulled out what looked like a metal bar. It was rusted but looked like it would do the job.

"I'm assuming you were told to kill me, right? You weren't asked to bring me back alive or anything like that?"

"I was given the orders to kill you. That's all." raising her hands, the bodies moved in quick sharp movements before running my way. Using the metal bar, I swung at them, hiding them behind the neck one by one. The sound of metal and bone echoed through the air. But it wasn't enough. When I hit one, two more simply came my way. And it's not like using the metal bar as a bat is going to disable them.

"I guess it's a good thing these people are dead!" Sagiri cackled.

Dead?

I jumped back as a body landed before me on its feet. Its hands swung at me, missing me by a few inches.

"Disgusting." I jumped back again as another body appeared at my wide. The more I dodged, I could see a dark red thread. That must be how she's controlling them. Swinging the metal bar, I aimed for the thread in the hopes of snapping it in two. Only, I was not able to do so. She snatched the body back, causing it to jump back by a few feet.