Part One: Chapter 17

Emperor Kang was seated at the head of the table. On either side of him sat government officials who eagerly informed him of the needs of the city and region.

"The farmlands are doing well. There is no need to add more guards at this time. It would seem that the bandits in the area have fled."

"The food supply is beginning to run low. But I think we'll be alright if we can get more rice before the winter months."

Emperor Kang nodded his head when it was appropriate. As the meeting came to a close, he gave a sigh of relief as the government officials stepped out of the hall. He then rose to his feet and made his way to the executive office where Lord Baek and Lord Kang were waiting for him. Stepping through the doors of the office, he saw the two of them sitting at his desk.

"How did it go?" Lord Baek asked.

"I'm assuming it went well. The meeting didn't last long this time." Lord Kang crossed his arms.

Emperor Kang nodded his head.

"I saw Lady Abedayo go to your room last night. Did the two of you talk? Have you two been making any progress?"

The emperor nodded again. "Yes."

"Wow. That's surprising." Lord Baek said.

"Was it a good talk?" Lord Kang leaned toward his cousin. "Was it?"

"...She told me to stop seeing Hyo-rin."

"What!" Lord Baek narrowed his eyes.

"But it's normal for emperors to have concubines as well as a wife." Lord Kang chimed in.

"Zurine does not like it. So I will do as she says."

"Well...if you ask me, you should have stopped a long time ago. Hyo-rin is a servant. But she's not even one of us." Lord Baek sighed.

"I do not want to upset Zurine anymore than I already have. I want her to trust me. I want her to feel comfortable around me as well. So I will end my relationship with the woman." as he looked up, he saw Hyo-rin standing in the doorway. Lord Kang and Lord Baek looked at one another before looking back at the emperor. After a few moments, they stood up and walked to the door.

"We will take our leave now." Lord Kang chuckled.

"You have more important things that need your attention at the moment." Lord Baek followed behind Lord Kang. Hyo-rin waited until the two men were out of sight before entering the study.

"Emperor Kang." she knelt before his desk. "You didn't call for me last night. Is everything alright?"

Emperor Kang peered at the woman before him.

It would upset Zurine if I continue doing this, he thought. Standing up, he circled his desk and gestured for Hyo-rin to follow.

"Do you want me to accompany you for a walk?" she asked.

Emperor Kang walked her to the door. He guided her with his hand, urging her to step outside. Once she was on the opposite side of the threshold, he slid the door shut and returned to his desk. He could see the woman's shadow from under the door.

"E-Emperor Kang! Emperor Kang!"

The emperor reached for a roll of parchment and unraveled it. He read over the sentences in black ink.

Hyo-rin was stunned by the sudden act of rejection, She has been serving the emperor since they were children.

"H-How could this be?" she stepped back before gritting her teeth. "That bitch!" she growled. "She's ruining everything for me!"