Part Two: Chapter 71

I woke up to Yohan gently kissing my cheek. When I opened my eyes, he was sitting at the edge of the bed crouching over me.

"Good morning, empress." he lovingly stroked my cheek.

"Good morning." I slowly sat up.

"I have red tea and some steamed buns." he said. "Inside is a vegetable broth."

"Thank you." as I held the blanket to my chest, Yohan held something wrapped in yellow paper before me.

"Here."

"What is it?" taking the object in my hands, I unwrapped it. Inside was the hair accessory I was looking at the other day.

"I bought it as soon as you walked away." he said.

I looked up at him and laughed. "You do know that the merchant was terrified, right?"

"I know. I tried not to scare him any more than he already was." he looked away as if embarrassed.

I stroked his cheek before kissing his lips. "Thank you."

He leaned in to kiss my shoulder. "If you continue to seduce me, we may have to stay another night."

"I wouldn't mind that." I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled him on top of me. "One more night wouldn't be so bad."

Yohan looked into my eyes. "I will ask Madam Gim to add another night to our stay."

___

"Where is the emperor?" a government official crossed his arms as he sat disgruntled at the table. Everyone was seated in the meeting hall for the morning assembly. Lord Baek had taken Emperor Kang's position during his absence.

"The emperor is currently away from the palace. I am here in his place. If you have any concerns, please rest assured that I am-."

"How can we turn to you when Lord Donzo is moving in on our territory!"

Lord Baek eye's widened.

"How dare the emperor be so irresponsible. He knows the dangers that are currently taking place in Masir and yet he decides to leave the palace? Now of all times!"

Lord Baek cleared his throat. "I will be sure to station some of our men in your respective territories. But I will also inform the emperor when he returns."

"This is ludicrous."

"My apologies, Lord Min." Lord Baek bowed his head. "I am sure that the emperor is working hard while he is away." he took a breath before raising his head. "Please meet with me after the meeting so that we can discuss this matter further."

"I intend to." Lord Min grumbled.

After the meeting, Elder Kang waited outside of the meeting hall for Lord Baek. Lord Baek asked for Lord Min to meet him at the pavilion and ordered one of the servants to escort him there.

"I take it things are not going too well for you at the moment." Elder Kang chuckled lightly.

"How dare Yohan run off on a small trip during a time like this." Lord Baek growled.

"I understand your frustration. But he is in love and at this moment, he is trying to make amends with Zurine."

"He needs to return to the palace as soon as possible. Lord Donzo is making his move."

"He is?"

"Yes."

"...That's not good." Elder Kang narrowed her eyes. "Please, allow me to attend this meeting as well. I will send word to Ji-hun, Hyun, and Seok-jin. I doubt that Lord Donzo would do anything that requires his men to travel past Yohan and Ji-hun's territory. But if they are already encroaching on the west..." she pursed her lips. "This is serious."