Part Two: Chapter 42

When I opened my eyes, all I could see was white.

The white sky.

White sand.

There was neither a sun nor a moon. The air was still. Not even a breeze could be felt on my skin.

"...Where...am I...?" I looked down at my arms and legs. I was wearing a white sleeveless dress that went past my knees. But...I wasn't wearing any shoes. I don't remember putting on a dress. I don't...really remember much of anything...

Wait...

I remember...fighting.

Yeah, I was fighting Lord Baldwin.

No...I was fighting against...

Who was I fighting against?

"Ugh!" I slapped my cheeks. "Come on. Who was I..."

"...Zurine..."

I spun around but saw no one.

Who is calling my name?

"...Zurine..."

"H-Hello...?"

"...Zurine..."

"Who's there?" how do they know my name?

"...Zurine..."

That voice.

It's ringing in my ear.

It's rattling my bones.

"Zurine."

My chest was suddenly tight.
"Zurine."

My lungs felt like they were being squeezed like lemons.

"Zurine."

"...Wait..."

"Zurine."

"Agh!"

"...Zurine?"

I spun around to see a woman with a dark coffee complexion and deep, yet soft powdery blue eyes. Her hair flowed in thick luscious frosted blue waves.

"Zurine."

Her voice.

It was a lovely voice.

A voice that was so loving and endearing.

"Zurine, what are you doing?" the woman extended her arms. "Come here."

I felt my legs go numb.

"Zurine."

"...Ma..."

"Zur-."

"Mama!" my body crashed into her. "Mama!"

"Oh, Zurine. My little white moon." she kissed the top of my head before kissing my cheek. My body pulled us to the ground at our feet.

"Mama..." I smiled before realizing that if I am seeing my mother...that means... "...Mama..." I slowly sat up.

"Is something wrong?" she brushed the hair from my face.

I could feel the tears building in my eyes.

"Zurine...what's wrong?" she lovingly stroked my cheek.

"If you...if I am here..."

My mother pursed her lips.

"Then..." it's only fair. It's what I deserve. Tears crashed onto my lap. "Then...I'm..."

"I'm sorry." my mother kissed my forehead. "I am so sorry." she cupped my face in her hands. "I wish that I could have been there." she looked into my eyes. "I wish that...those horrible things did not happen."