Part One: Chapter 31

"Did you hear? The Jong Mansion was robbed last night."

"What!"

"Did they say what was taken?"

"I believe a compass? But I don't see what's so valuable about it."

"What? Just a compass?"

"I wonder if it was a family heirloom."

"Either way, that's just horrible!"

"We should secure the valuable items in the palace. I'll talk to the guards."

News of the robbery quickly swept through the city. I sat at the table in my room drinking a cup of tea. Looking up, I gave a heavy sigh. Yohan returns in a few days. I haven't heard from Dahi since last night. I guess I should reach out to him. I doubt he'll be able to send me a message. I wonder how much he sold the compass for.

"How was your breakfast?" Min-ji gathered the dishes before me.

"It was good." I murmured.

She hesitated before setting the plates and bowls on her tray. "Lady Abedayo..."

I lowered my eyes.

"Were you...out with that man last night?"

My fingers tightened around my cup. "Yes."

Min-ji slowly nodded her head. "Should I keep this a secret from the emperor?"

"Yes." I slowly nodded my head. "Also, keep an eye on Hyo-rin. She's meeting with one of the men that I am acquainted with. I want you to tell me when she leaves the palace grounds at night."

"Yes, of course."

"If Lord Baek or Beom ask why I am staying in my room, tell them that I am just tired. Don't say that I am sick. That will only worry them."

"Yes, I understand." Min-ji stood up. "Lady Abedayo..."

"Yes?"

"Please...be careful..."

"I will." believe me, I'm trying my best. I can only do so much. With Yohan returning in a few days, I have to be more careful. I won't be able to leave as freely with him here.

Just after nightfall, I dressed in my thief attire before sneaking out of the palace. I returned to Dahi's room where I found him happily eating from a box of fried desserts.

"Zurine." he smiled. "Just the woman I was looking for. I have some good news."

"Do you?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"You will receive five percent of the profit from the compass. Don't worry. Lord Baldwin agreed to it. But I have another job for you."

I narrowed my eyes.

"Do you remember how I said the next job would be in your best interest? Well, you will be accompanying an old friend."

An old friend? I don't like the sound of that.

"You will head to Saikhon."

"Saikhon?"

"Yes. It is a small town not too far from here. Just head north up the river and you'll find it. Go to the temple just outside of town. That is the rendezvous."

"What am I going to do there? I shouldn't really be leaving the city."

"Are you saying that you shouldn't leave the city because of the emperor?"

"No, that's not-."

"Then you should get going. You wouldn't want to miss out on this opportunity."

"Fine." climbing through the window, I headed north. I made my way to the city walls and leaped to the other side. Racing through the trees, I couldn't help but sense a bit of freedom under the night sky. I didn't think I would miss this that much. It reminds me of when I first met Yohan...as a wolf.