Part One: Chapter 16

The servants were huddled together in a tight crowd eager to take a look at the picture Min-ji held before her. Shading in lavender. Highlights in pastel yellow. Neutral tones in beige. She had never seen anything so beautiful.

"You said that Lady Abedayo drew this for you?"

"Yes!" Min-ji smiled. "She's very talented. She even drew Lord Kang!"

"Really?"

"I want to be drawn too!"

"I'm sure she'll do it. You just have to ask." Min-ji opened the chest at the foot of her bed before carefully placing the picture inside. "Lady Abedayo is a really sweet and caring woman."

"It would appear as if you adore her." one of the servants teased.

"I do." Min-ji flushed. "She is really kind. I can see why the emperor chose her."

"What's all the commotion?"

Everyone turned to see Hyo-rin standing in the doorway with her arms folded over her chest.

"Shouldn't you be serving Lady Abedayo?" she sneered.

"Lady Abedayo has already had dinner and is preparing for bed." Min-ji narrowed her eyes. "You should keep in mind that you are a servant just like the rest of us. You are no better just because you serve the emperor."

"You are right...I should not think such a thing." Hyo-rin pushed her hair over the back of her shoulders. "But...I am better. I help the emperor in more ways than one."

"You need to know your place." Min-ji stepped forward. "The emperor will soon marry Lady Abedayo. You need to know that your presence can hinder the development of their relationship."

"Relationship?" Hyo-rin cackled. "What relationship? Isn't it obvious that the emperor chose Lady Abedayo for one thing and one thing only? It's just to keep up with his image. The emperor needs to get married to produce an heir. But this relationship won't last. He probably picked her because his father has been encouraging him to do so. This relationship will end just like the others."

"But...it's already been two months..." Min-ji frowned. "The emperor is very fond of her as well! She was even given-!"

"A room to keep her busy." Hyo-rin smirked. "There is nothing going on between them. Don't get your hopes up. She will leave the emperor soon enough just like the others." she turned her back to them and placed her hand on the doorframe. "And don't forget. The emperor will always be mine." as Hyo-rin walked out of the room, Min-ji balled her hands into fists.

"Do you think that Lady Abedayo knows about their relationship?"

"I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't."

"Hyo-rin does hide it pretty well."

"Lady Abedayo does know about their relationship." Min-ji muttered. "She saw them together."

The servants covered their mouths.

"...Do you think that it's weakened their relationship?"

"I don't know. I've only ever seen Lady Abedayo act very cruel towards the emperor."

"Lady Abedayo is just scared!" Min-ji held her composure. "Lady Abedayo has been through a lot and even though it's been a few months, she is still adjusting to our culture and customs. She was forced to be the emperor's bride. She has been doing everything she can to make the best of the situation."

"I heard that she wasn't able to bond with the emperor her first night here."

"Please!" Min-ji abruptly bowed her head. "Please stop speaking ill of Lady Abedayo!"