Part One: Chapter 19

I've been on edge since I met with Lord Baldwin this morning. I doubt that he believes me about the failed mission. But what more can I do? Shadowbane and Nightshade ambushed me! I had no other choice but to run! Maybe I shouldn't have fled the country. But I had to get out of there! I had no choice! I didn't have any other options. If I stayed in Khurut, they could have found me.

"You look beautiful, Lady Abedayo." Min-ji tied my hair in a bun. "The emperor will love this color on you!" she clipped a gold flower hair clip at the base of my bun. I gazed at my reflection in the mirror; the deep purple bottom robe and a lavender top robe that wrapped around my breast before falling down the length of my leg as a long skirt. The end of my robe was silver nearly matching my ivory hair. Around my waist was a gold belt. The sound of footsteps met my ears and I immediately tensed up.

Is it Lord Baldwin?

"Emperor Kang!"

I spun around to see Yohan standing a few feet behind me. I slowly stood up while turning to face him. He tilted his head to the side before extending a hand to brush a loose strand of hair from my face.

"The colors look beautiful on you."

"...Thanks..." I wasn't quite sure how to accept that compliment. I took the pastel purple robe that was folded on the table and stuck my arms through the sleeves. "I'm ready."

Yohan held up a hand as if asking me to wait. He then adjusted the belt around my waist.

"Oh..." I hadn't noticed that my belt was uneven. I guess my nerves are getting the best of me.

He pulled the belt around my waist so the ends dangled over the center of my legs. "Is it too tight?"

"No." I blushed.

He stood and extended his arm. He didn't say anything but he also didn't need to. I took his arm and walked with him to the banquet hall. I wasn't expecting to have dinner with the emperor, Lord Baldwin, and Dahi. I'm actually a little concerned. I have no idea how Lord Baldwin is going to act. I also don't know what questions he's going to ask. Is he going to hint at my identity? Or is he going to be professional and talk about his business? I never know when it comes to him. It's always a guessing game.

As we approached the banquet hall, I could see Lord Baek and Beom standing by the bridge.

"Beom? Lord Baek.? What are they doing here?" I asked.

"I have a few questions to ask Lord Baldwin. I'm almost positive that Yohan won't do much of the talking anyway." Lord Baek explained.

"I also don't trust Lord Baldwin. Something seems off about him." Beom nodded. "Right, Yohan?"

Yohan nodded his head.

"You think so as well?" I looked up at him.

Yohan glanced down at me and gave a sharp nod.

"But we will make sure to keep a level head and be cordial. We will decide what to do once Lord Baldwin leaves the palace." Beom looked towards the banquet hall.

"They're waiting inside. We should enter now so that they don't get suspicious." Lord Baek led the way to the banquet hall. Yohan waited for Beom to walk ahead of us before placing his hand on my lower back. He guided me into the hall, where Lord Baldwin and Dahi sat at the table. The two of them stood up and bowed their heads.

"Emperor Kang." Lord Baldwin smiled.

"Good evening, Emperor Kang..." Dahi eyed me, Lord Baek, and Beom. "I thought that this was going to be a more...intimate dinner."

"My apologies for interrupting. But I had a few questions about your company." Lord Baek spoke sternly. "This is Lord Kang Beom." he gestured to Beom who bowed his head.