No Way To Know For Sure (Daniel Sousa)

Requested on Tumblr!

Summary: After a few months of friendship and a few more months of dating, Y/N and Daniel Sousa decided to call it quits when he moved out to LA to open the West Coast SSR. She was focused on her career with no desire to leave New York, her home, the place she had connections and established respect as a female SSR agent, the greatest city in the world. Daniel couldn't turn down the promotion, and she didn't want him to. So they parted ways, Y/N telling herself it didn't hurt. But when Jack sends her out to LA to work with Daniel on a case, she realizes she is definitely not over him.

****************

We broke up for our careers and it was the right choice. It's not going to be weird it's going to be fine. You were over him the second he boarded the plane, and he feels the same way.

I repeated the words over and over in my head as I walked towards the doors of the Auerbach Theatrical Agency, also known by some as the front for the LA SSR. Jack Thompson, meddling asshole to his core, had sent me over here as an agent on loan to help with some trouble they'd been having, since I had more experience than almost everyone out here. Now, in just a few short minutes I'd be seeing Daniel Sousa again, which made me feel like a million frogs were all jumping around in my stomach at the same time.

Before Daniel had left New York, we'd spent a few months dating. We'd fallen pretty hard pretty quickly, and it just made sense since we got along so well as agents and both found each other attractive. All that had come to a screeching halt, however, when Daniel had gotten the opportunity to move to LA as the new chief of the SSR West Coast Division.

It was truly the opportunity of a lifetime. I'd never have been able to live with myself if he had turned the offer down because of me, and he agreed it was for the best that he take it. He asked if I wanted to move with him, but my entire career was here, including the connections I'd spent so long building that made me so good at my job, and I had no desire to leave New York, especially for a boy I'd only been seeing for a few months. We eventually decided that breaking up was our best option, wished each other well, and then never contacted each other again, as it was supposed to go. It had hurt for a little bit, but I'd quickly gotten over him, and I really didn't miss him.

So when Thompson told me I'd be going to assist on a case in LA, I'd told him to go straight to hell. I didn't need or want to go to LA, or to see Daniel again. That period of my life was over, and it was for the best for everyone that it stayed that way. Thompson, staying absolutely true to obnoxious form, wouldn't have any of it and refused to take no for an answer. He'd made it a director order, leaving me to choose between giving in or quitting.

So now, here I was, standing in front of the glass door with the two small bags I'd brought in the stubborn hope this would be a short trip. I took deep breaths, trying to psych myself up and just go through the door (it wasn't that hard, dammit, come on!) only for the door to be flung open from the other side, nearly whacking me right in the face.

"Thank you very much, but the Auerbach Theatrical Agency is unfortunately unable to take on any new one-man band acts at this time."

I sidestepped as a man was physically shoved out the door and onto the sidewalk, revealing the figure who'd shoved him stranding in the doorway.

Rose Roberts. Absolute queen of the SSR and formerly tied for my favorite work bestie with Peggy Carter. She'd moved out here for a promotion along with Daniel, and although we'd kept in better touch than Daniel and I, it was still remarkable to see her again.

"Y/N!" she cried as soon as she saw me. I beamed back at her, and she wasted no time pulling me in for a bone-crushing hug. I squeezed right back, hugging her for absolutely all I was worth.