M. Carter (Peggysous)

Written for Peggysous Week 2022 on Tumblr! Run by @peggysousweek - Go check it out!

Prompts: Ghosts, Michael Carter, Meet the Family

Summary: After months of work, the team at the SSR have finally tracked down the man who shot Jack Thompson. Daniel and Peggy are responsible for bringing him in, but the mission might be a little more complicated than they first anticipated.

A/N: I've never been able to get this interview with one of the Agent Carter creators out of my head. This is a product of that.
https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a861357/agent-carter-season-3-plot-why-revival-wont-happen-netflix/

****************

"Alright, you got all your gear ready to go?" asked Daniel, looking Peggy up and down to check for himself.

"Yes. And you?" Daniel nodded, and Peggy took a deep breath. "Alright then. Let's do this."

Daniel quickly pulled Peggy in for a kiss, and then the two started backing towards their separate paths.

"Be safe, alright?" said Daniel. "We've got a date at the end of an isle in a few months that I don't want you to miss."

Peggy smiled. "Trust me, Daniel, I wouldn't miss it for the world. I'll see you shortly."

With that, the pair turned and were on their way.

After months of work, the SSR team had at last managed to track down the person who'd shot Jack Thompson. Peggy and Daniel had come all the way to Europe, setting up a careful sting mission, to capture the man in question. Jack, for his part, still wasn't completely back in fighting shape after his near-death experience, so he had to wait at the airstrip with the extraction team. He hadn't even been allowed to play the role of getaway driver, much to his frustration.

Despite months of research using all the SSR's resources, the team still didn't have a name for their mystery person. They knew enough about his track record, however, to know he was incredibly dangerous. The man was a ghost, and had been operating in Europe as a ruthless mercenary and shadow of death since before the end of the war. Peggy and Daniel would be doing a good deed for more than just Jack Thompson if they managed to catch him today.

They could do this. They'd taken on Dottie Underwood, after all, and there was no way this guy was worse than her.

Daniel crept through the dim, deserted building he and Peggy had tracked their target to. The plan was for him to come from one direction and for Peggy to come from the other, leaving the mystery man trapped between them with no way out. Daniel focused on steadying his breathing as he rounded a corner, then stopped at the end of a long hallway.

He could see into the room ahead of him, where he and Peggy planned to pinch their target. As planned, the man in question stood there, his back to Daniel and unaware of his arrival. Daniel's heart almost dropped out of his chest, however, when he saw Peggy on the other side of the room, standing in plain sight very decidedly against the plan and staring at the mystery man like she'd seen a ghost.

"Michael?" Daniel heard his fiancée breath the name from across the room. He frantically racked his brain for why the name sounded familiar, then almost had to lean against the wall for support as the realization rocked him.

Michael Carter. Peggy's older brother, declared dead in the early stages of the war just before Peggy joined the S.O.E. And apparently standing before them now.

The man–Michael Carter–sighed heavily.

"Hello, Peg. It's been a while."

"Michael... what in the hell are you doing here?" Peggy demanded, voice rising rapidly as she snapped out of her shock. She stormed across the room towards Michael, but he didn't move an inch, even as Peggy approached him with a fury that would've made most men run and hide. "I thought you were dead! We all thought you were dead-"