Laser Tag (Bobbi Morse)

Written for Fictober 2022 on Tumblr!

Prompt: "Do we have a deal?"

Summary: Y/N and Bobbi have worked at SHIELD together for a long time, and have recently become training partners, which has only made Y/N's crush on their fellow agent a thousand times worse. When they set up a bet that revolves around Y/N taking Bobbi on a date if they win, they might finally get their wish of having something other than a work relationship with their fellow agent.

A/N: I've never written for Bobbi or even really thought about writing for Bobbi, but this was fun! Thanks to the anon who requested it, and I hope I did her justice!

****************

"Do we have a deal?"

"Sure, Y/N, we have a deal. If you somehow manage to beat me in hand-to-hand this round, I'll go on a date with you." I grinned at Bobbi, my training partner and long-time crush, as she raised her fists to get ready for our next round of sparring. "But, if you lose, you have to do all of my paperwork for the next month."

I grinned. "Don't worry, Bobbi. I'll make sure to pick a nice restaurant for our date to take the sting out of all that paperwork you're not going to be able to get out of."

She scoffed and rolled her eyes, but I caught a slight smile on her face nonetheless.

"Alright, enough smack talk. Time to back it up. C'mon."

I shot her a smirk, then darted forward with lightning speed. Despite how confident I was in my ability to win this round, Bobbi was still a formidable opponent, and she reacted quickly enough to block my move. She quickly countered with one of her own, putting me on the back foot as I had to scramble back a few steps to get out of her range.

"What's the matter, Y/N?" she asked, shooting me an irritatingly distracting smile as she took up her defensive stance again. "The idea of all that paperwork keeping your mind elsewhere?"

I scoffed as Bobbi looked me up and down, making my heart race. "You know it's not the paperwork distracting me you damn cheater."

Bobbi just winked at me, then rushed forward so fast I almost couldn't stop her. We traded blows for a few minutes, Bobbi pushing me further and further back with each attack. I was going to run out of room soon, and then she'd really have me beat, so in between blocks I took a deep breath and forced my brain to focus on the fight instead of Bobbi.

It wasn't easy, but I managed to lock into combat mode, and just like that the tables turned. Bobbi had been kicking my ass in training since we'd started as partners last week, but it had largely been because she was such a distraction for me. Now, with so much on the line, I'd finally managed to get in the zone, which meant I could take advantage of my full skill set.

The momentum shifted, and I pushed Bobbi back a few steps. Her eyebrows shot up in surprise, and then she doubled the ferocity of her attacks. Still, I managed to get her on the defense. One perk of consistently making a fool of myself in front of her over the past week was that she hadn't seen my full capabilities or moves yet, which meant she didn't have any practice defending against them.

After a few minutes of rapid back and forth, I finally managed to surprise Bobbi and knock her feet out from under her. I had her pinned in a few moments after that, and when a couple attempts at catching me off guard and flipping me failed, Bobbi finally admitted defeat.

"Where the hell did that come from?" she demanded as we stood. I got up first and offered her my hand, which she took, then I grinned at her.

"I finally managed to stop being nervous around you long enough to get my head in the game and fight like I do against literally everyone else that's not you," I said. Bobbi shook her head, but she was smiling all the same. "And just in time, too, because as much as I want to take you out I also really do not want to do that paperwork."

She rolled her eyes and threw her head back at the mention of the paperwork, which made me laugh.

"So, where do you want to go for our date?"

****************

"Alright, I'll admit... as far as dates go, this one actually does make up for the paperwork a little."

I grinned at Bobbi as the two of us went through the motions of putting on our laser tag vests. We'd gone out to a nice, if early, dinner, and then I'd surprised Bobbi by bringing her to the second phase of our date: no-holds-barred laser tag.

"I'm glad you think so," I said, shooting her a smile. Dinner had gone fantastically, and I got the feeling Bobbi might just be crushing on me as hard as I was crushing on her, now. "The only question left is: are we teaming up or competing against each other."

"I mean... I think it might be unfair if we teamed up against all these poor, helpless civilians," she said with a mischievous grin. I returned her look with one of my own.

"Well then, I guess you'd better bring your A-game in there, Agent Morse."

"You're on."

Bobbi and I had an absolute field day in laser tag. We got to play three rounds, and in the first two, we were in a league of our own. Hardly anybody else landed a hit on either of us, but we scored a ridiculous amount of points against everyone else. In the first round, Bobbi beat me by a slim margin. In the second round, I managed to beat her by about the same, which meant it all came down to the third round.

"This is it," I said, grinning at her as we suited up in our laser tag vests for the last time. "Winner takes all."

"Care to make it interesting?" she asked, fixing me with a look that shot a thrill through my heart as we waited for the game to start.

"I'd be interested. Loser does the winner's paperwork for a week?"

"Or... loser plans and buys the next date."

My heart stopped in my chest. I stared at Bobbi, trying to play it cool while also freaking out. She smirked back at me, clearly aware of the effect her words had on me.

"You..." I cleared my throat, trying to get it together and sound halfway normal. "You want to go on another date?"

"Yeah," she said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. "This was fun. And I've actually liked you for a while, too. I'm just better at being a spy and not having a visible heart attack every time you walked into the room."

I scoffed, but turned away to avoid looking at her because I knew my expression would just prove her point. Bobbi took a few steps closer to me, until the distance between us was almost completely gone, then gently lifted my chin with her hand until our eyes met.

"Hey. Seriously, though, this has been great. I'm glad we did this."

"Me too," I agreed. I glanced down at her lips, and before I knew it, we were both leaning into each other, further closing the distance until it completely disappeared. I was kissing Bobbi Morse, in the middle of a laser tag arena no less, and I absolutely loved it.

We broke apart after a few moments, since we were still in public. I absolutely beamed at Bobbi, and the soft expression on her face made my heart melt.

"I guess it's a good thing I let you win in our sparring match," she said as she pulled away. My mouth dropped open, but before I could call her on her bullshit, the laser tag arena doors opened and the countdown to find your hiding spot started sounding. Bobbi shot me a wink and the most shit-eating grin I'd ever seen, then turned on her heel and took off. I quickly shook myself out of my shock and hurried after her.

"Morse, you're in for it now! You didn't let me win then, and you're gonna lose fair and square now, too!"

I heard her laugh from somewhere in the darkness, and I couldn't help smiling to myself, despite my minor outrage. I was on a date with Bobbi Morse, and one way or another we were planning a second one. What on Earth could I possibly complain about?