Chapter Forty-Five: First Shift Back - Part Two

Start from the beginning

"Baby, you never have to apologize to me for being nervous; as my wife, you have every right to be nervous because you love me. And as the future mother of my children, you have every right to tell me that you don't want me to work. Now, if you want me to go home with you..." Gabby shook her head when Matt offered to stay home with her, not wanting that. "I think you just saying it again made me feel better." Matt agreed with Gabby when she said that, proceeding to put his hand on her stomach. "Baby, if you ever doubt that I want to come back to you...just look down at this." Gabby then put her hand on his, looking at her stomach. "Just think about our daughters, and how much I want to be a father baby." Gabby agreed with Matt when he told her that, well aware of just what he's talking about when he's saying that to her right now.

"Baby, I want to be a dad more than anything in the entire world. But you also need to remember that I am not going to put my life ahead of someone I need to rescue, as that's part of the job. But I promise you baby, I will do everything in my power to make sure that I go home with you tonight. And you can take that to the bank, because I want to be a dad more than anything in the entire world; and that's something that you know about me baby. You know that I want to be a dad, and you know that I will never but that at risk." Gabby agreed with Matt when he said that, smiling because she did know that about him. She knew that he was not going to put his chance at being a father to their twins at risk, because that really is completely unlike him. He's going to do everything he can to make sur that he gets to raise their twins with her. "Baby, I love you...and you're my world. I am never loosing you ever again, that's a promise that I can make to you." Gabby agreed.

"I know, sorry I was scared." Matt shook his head when he heard Gabby tell him that. "No, don't apologize Gabby. Just remember that I want to be a dad more than anything in the entire world. So, I am going to do everything I can to make sure that I get to be a father, and that means that I am going to get back to you; and we also have Kelly and Stella on our sides, and they're going to make sure that I get back to my beautiful wife and family." Gabby agreed with Matt when he told her that, smiling as she knew that was the case. "I love you." Matt nodded when he heard Gabby say that, madly in love with the woman he's very proud to call his wife. "How about you do me a favor and breathe? I'm going to keep driving to the firehouse so that I'm not late for shift, or too late compared to the other people." Gabby agreed with Matt when he said that. "I promise to breathe a lot today." Matt nodded. "And I promise to be available to talk okay?" Gabby agreed with him.

"Matt, can you promise me something?" Matt nodded. "Hey, of course." Gabby took a breath. "Tomorrow, can me and you talk about today? We can see how things go today and then..." Matt just agreed with Gabby. "I think that's a great plan Gabby. Remember, this is just the first shift. But, I promise...after each and every shift, you can tell me that you want it to be my last shift until we have the twins; and my next call will be Boden, and I will tell him that I need to transfer for the health of our twins. I mean that okay? So let's just take it one day at a time, just like our marriage; okay baby?" Gabby agreed with Matt when he said that, smiling as she watched him continue to drive to the firehouse this morning ahead of shift.
XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Matt's POV – Part One:
Walking into the firehouse with Gabby once we finally got here, I smiled as I carried our bags while holding her hand with our fingers intertwined. She then looked ahead and saw everybody there. Seeing Kelly out of the corner of my eye, I smiled at Gabby before getting close to her. I then wrapped my arm around her and whispered in her ear. "How about you go sit down with Stella? Talk to her and make sure that you guys are on the same page okay baby?" Gabby turned to look at me when I said that, smiling as she turned to look at me. She then put her hand on my face, leaning up to kiss me softly. "I love you." I agreed with Gabby when she told me that, smiling as I watched her walk away. It was only then that I let my face show a bit of nervous, as that's exactly what I was; I was nervous that Gabby would be too stressed, and that would do our daughters some damage. "Here, need me to take some baggage off your chest?" I laughed when Kelly asked me that.