Chapter Forty-Five: First Shift Back - Part Two

Well, if that wasn't a nice breakfast between husband and wife. But now, it's time for us to get down to something that we've been waiting a while for. And just what might that be? Well, it's time for me to write a shift for you my dear readers. I hope you guys are ready for this. Now, just be warned that the shift will be written over a couple chapters. I have seen some authors who decide to cram a shift into a chapter, but I would rather not do that as I want to separate it. So, we'll see where this chapter leads us to. Now, let's get at it; here's Chapter Forty-Five, our first shift chapter of my story for y'all.
XXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

He could feel the nerves rushing through her body as her grip on his hand got tighter and together, and that could only mean one thing; she was really nervous about him going back to shift today, probably more nervous than she was really comfortable telling him. And that was really making him worry, as he didn't know what affect that would have on their children. As much as Matt wants to go back to the firehouse, and go back to the profession he loves; he has already made a promise to himself that he wouldn't do this if Gabby wasn't ready. If Gabby changed her mind (which she could at any time), then he would switch to OFI and he would make sure that he was safe for the sake of his kids. And let's just say that Matt was glad that Boden said that they can take time to make their way to the house, as Matt was not ready to keep driving when he felt Gabby shaking with nerves. As her husband, he couldn't do that (even if he was the captain at 51).

His main priority is, and always will be, his wife and family; that's a fact that he made crystal clear to the fire department when he renegotiated his re-entry package. (Yes, he negotiated it). He made sure that he would be able to put his marriage ahead of the department if it was required, as that's what really matters to her. And if Gabby wasn't ready for him to go back, even after all of the reassurances that they got from their friends; then they would turn around, and he would stay at home with her. That's something that he can promise her, and it's what he needs to ask her. Just looking at the woman of his dreams as he decided to pull over, Matt just went to look at his wife. "Hey, why are you pulling over baby? We're almost there." Matt then turned to look at Gabby when she asked him that question. "Baby, you're shaking." Are you sure that you're okay?" Gabby looked at Matt. "It's just nerves baby, I promise that I'll be fine." Matt just looked at Gabby, doubtful.

"Baby, are you sure? If you aren't ready for this, then I can call Boden right now. We can turn around, and we can just take it easy for another day. I mean it Gabby." Gabby took a breath when Matt asked her that, not wanting him to wait anymore. "Baby, I'm not making you wait. And I need to face my fears too. I mean yes, am I nervous that you're going back? Of course, I'm a bit nervous over the fact that you're going back. But I'll be fine, because I know that you know that you're not going to do something stupid...not when you'd rather meet our children." Matt agreed with Gabby when she said that, smiling at the woman he loves. He then put his hand on her stomach, smiling at her. "I promise, I'll take it easy; and I can ask Stella to stay on my hip today okay? I will ask her to stay on my hip. How does that sound?" Gabby thought about it, before smiling at the man of her dreams. She then grabbed his hand and intertwined their fingers as she was happy.

"I love that idea." Matt nodded as he heard Gabby say that, stroking her hand with his thumb. "I promise baby, I'm going to make it back to you. You're not going to lose me anytime soon, because I love you too much." Gabby agreed with her loving husband when he told her that, smirking as she knew that was the case. And there was no doubt in her mind that he truly was going to be very safe for the rest of his career, as he wants to be a dad more than anything in the entire world. "I promise baby." Gabby then proceeded to get close to the man of her dreams, leaning over the dash before kissing him softly. At the same time, she took things nice and slow with him. And let's just say that she's very happy over the fact that they're home, as this is where she wants to be. "Baby, I'm sorry for being nervous." Matt shook his head when he heard Gabby say that she was sorry for being nervous. "Hey, look at me and listen to me good." Gabby agreed with Matt.