CHAPTER 14 JUNIOR BROTHER, I'VE INCONVENIENCED YOU

In the evening of the first day of the twelfth lunar month, Wen Jing changed his clothes and thoroughly inspected the things that he carried for night patrol. Communication stone, stealth talisman……

On the bedside were a few spirit grasses. They were the result of him searching the mountain during the day, but he wasn’t sure if he should take them with him.

The large tortoise was on the bed. Motionless, it watched him.

Wen Jing opened the door. Heavy snowflakes drifted into the room. While covering his head, he faced the large tortoise on the bed and said: “Haven’t you been away from home for several days? Senior brother Jun doesn’t mistreat you, why are you always running over here? He seems very refined, does he bully you behind our backs?”

Naturally, the tortoise doesn’t respond and neither nodded nor shook his head.

“……I haven’t mistreated or bullied him.”

A deep and low voice came from behind him. Warm and genial, it held neither joy nor anger.

Startled, Wen Jing swiftly turned his head, smiled, and said: “Senior brother Jun, why are you here?”

……looks like he’d been caught red-handed. One really shouldn’t talk badly behind a person’s back.

Heavy snowflakes fell on black garments. Although he seemed frail, that person didn’t seem to notice the cold. Wen Jing helplessly looked at him and said: “So much snow and senior brother Jun isn’t cold. I’m very envious.”

“After you build your foundation, you will stop feeling the cold.”

“Yeah….” Wen Jing rubbed his hands together and adjusted his head cover.

Jun YanZhi said slowly: “You’re on night patrol tonight?”

“Yes.”

“Senior brother asked me this morning to come and see if you needed anything.”

“No, I’m fine.”

Wen Jing bowed his head in thought for a moment, then asked in a questioning manner, “Senior brother Jun, if I wanted to find a demonic beast in Xun Yang mountain, how would I go about it?”

“……what kind of demonic beast?”

“A python.”

“Why are you looking for it? Are you wanting to tame it?”

Wen Jing was excited for a moment, but then remembered the python’s temper and remembering past trauma shook his head: “I wouldn’t dare try to tame it, that python has a bit of a temper.”

Jun YanZhi’s expression didn’t change, but his lips thinned into a straight line.

Wen Jing said to himself: “……a little temper is fine. It’s rather cute, I’ll just coax it a little.
The problem is I can’t find it, so there’s no way to talk it into anything.”

“What are you trying to talk it into doing?” His voice was coldly indifferent.

“……I’m trying to repay a kindness. It seems intelligent and it saved my life.”

On the surface it was to repay a debt of gratitude, but not really. In the end Wen Jing couldn’t explain his reasoning either.

Jun YanZhi was silent for a long time, then at last stood up to leave: “……Since you don’t need anything, then I’ll be going.”

“Ah……then farewell fourth senior brother.”

The sky was fully dark and it was now very cold and pitch black outside without even a single trace of moonlight. Familiar with his route, Wen Jing slowly flew through the utter darkness of the night.