Chapter Forty-Five : Dinner At The Sinclairs' Part One

Start from the beginning

"And there goes Hazel..." Megan sighed as her sister walked past me, down the hallway. "Do you have any allergies or anything that I should know about before making dinner? I was thinking tacos would be good, or maybe meatballs and spaghetti" she led me through the hall into the kitchen.

"I'm good eating whatever, so I guess either of those is fine" my attention was drawn to the TV in the living room, which was connected to the kitchen.

"Hazel! Shut the TV off and stop ignoring your guest!" Megan chided. "I'm going to start on the food, so try not to kill each other" she sighed.

"Grace" Hazel groaned, beckoning me into the living room.

"Yeah?" I replied with equal lack of friendliness. I found the younger girl on one of the sofas, legs pulled in beside her, clean shaven. But it's not like I noticed. More or less. She eyed me boredly before turning the TV back on and staring at it.

"I don't hear bonding!" Megan called unhelpfully. Hazel growled and irately shut off the TV again.

"Alright, what would you like to do while she cooks?" She hissed at me.

"I don't know"

"Do you play chess?"

"Yeah"

"Would you like to play chess?"

"I guess"

"I asked if you wanted to play chess, not if you would play it" she rolled her eyes. "Do you have homework?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you want me to help you do it?"

"It's English work"

"Never mind"

"Do you want to play two truths and a lie or something?" I suggested. She just snorted.

"No" she clarified. "Darts?"

"Sure" I shrugged. The ebonette got to her feet and gestured for me to follow. She took me to a small door in the kitchen, then down a flight of stairs inside it. Her basement was, again, surprisingly comfortable. The walls were a beautiful baby blue, white carpet, a matching bed in the back, a small gaming area with neatly kept shelves of video games I'd never even heard of. There was a huge space in the back that had that fake grass stuff and white spray painted goal and field lines or whatever there called, and a dartboard on the back wall.

"How can you two afford all this? No offense" I breathed once Hazel had started collecting some darts from a rack of other things. She gave me a shrug.

"Megan knows people and Alexa makes a lot of money being in the Academy" I scowled at the name "she doesn't live here anymore, but we're paid anyway"

"Oh" I nodded as she handed me five silver and white darts. She kept the other five silver and black darts she'd taken out of storage.

We played silently for a few minutes before I couldn't take it anymore.

"How'd you come by all those games?" I gestured to the hoard of video game cases and consoles by the large curved flat screen TV and three really tempting giant bean bag couches.

"I made most of them. The rest are from the Night School" she replied as we went to collect our darts.

"You design and create video games? Isn't that like really hard to do?" God I sounded so dumb right there. Hazel caught it and lifted an eyebrow.

"I'm good with technology and Megan is creative. It's one of the things we actually do well together" she didn't put as much emotion as you'd expect into that. "Most of them are strategy games, anyway"

"You do a lot for the N.S. don't you?"

"I've done a lot. I don't do as much now" she reestablished any of the guard she'd let down.

"Why do you always do that?" I blurted out "you always start opening up a little, but then you'll shut back out after something completely random" she stopped what she was doing and stared at me, studying my expression for a good minute before saying anything.

"It's not random, but I can't tell you what it is either" she finally said.

"Whatever" I sighed, suddenly very bored with darts. "Do you know this game?" I put my darts down and held up my hands. I kept my right thumb and left pointer finger out, pointing it at my thumb. I switched the two so now my right pointer finger was pointing at my left thumb and I kept switching them a few more times to prove my point.

"No, but I don't think it will be as much of a challenge for me as you think" she mirrored my actions perfectly and even when I made a mistake she hadn't and continued with ease. "Try it on Megan, she'll mess up" she shrugged "I'll show you where to put your darts" I picked up the little things and followed her to the shelves, putting them back where she told me to.

"Now what?" I asked. Hazel shrugged.

"There is a TV down here that Megan can't see" she walked over to the television and took the remote before curling up on one of the cushions. "Sit wherever you want" she added. I restrained myself from diving face first or even belly flopping onto an unoccupied bean bag, instead I just lay on top of it belly down. It was literally the comfiest thing I have ever watched TV from.

Hazel put on The Maze Runner and watched intently.

"Have you ever read the book?" I prodded.

"No" she replied absentmindedly.

"Me neither" I finished. The movie got boring surprisingly quickly, probably because of the demon girl sitting next to me, who, by the way, happened to be a lot hotter than any guy on the show. Or the one girl that reminded me of Kristen Stewart for some reason. But I guess that's a matter of opinion.

"I'm impressed" she started when a commercial I loved, advertising some sort of dirt, came on. She shifted to face me. "I almost expected you to talk all through the movie and ask me which guy I thought was most attractive"

"Yeah well you know what they say about books and covers. Not to mention the fact that I am a lesbian and don't find guys attractive" I rolled my eyes "but now that you mention it, I don't remember you saying that you leaned any specific way so... Who did you find most attractive?" I smirked when she was silent. Five dollars says its the girl.

"Kristen" she stated. "The girl" she bit her lip. I almost broke out laughing.

"So I'm not crazy! She does look like Kristen Stewart!" I giggled. Oh shut up, yes I giggled... I'm in a mood.

"No, you're crazy, that's definitely Kristen Stewar- fuck..." she cursed as she checked the cast.

"My God, Hazel, I didn't think you had it in you to be cute" I purred, almost ignoring the fact that I definitely did not mean to say that.

"Well, we're both wrong, aren't we?" She leaned in really close to me, up until I could taste her breath. I had to fight to keep my eyes open. God she was close. I really don't know which I wanted more; for her to kiss me silly or to back off. I could see her smirking and eying my lips, and I was probably doing the same, but I probably looked not so in control.

The movie returned and she slithered away like nothing happened, just a strangely comforting evil smirk on her face as a souvenir.

**Two updates in a week?! I'm on a role! Who else wants to give me a hug? ;)