Chapter 36 *As Long As I Have You*

"Phew that fire was rolling!" Herrmann exclaimed as they hopped down out of the truck, Matt taking off his fire jacket. "You okay lieutenant?" Herrmann asked. Matt looked at him and nodded and he watched as Gabby walked past him, her face red. "Where are you going?" he asked her. Gabby looked at him and shrugged. "I'm gonna go take a shower," she replied. Matt nodded and watched as Gabby walked away and he walked out to the back of the firehouse. When no one was looking he slowly slipped away behind the wall where the garbage dumpster was and he started crying, sliding his back down the garbage onto his bottom, his hands in his hair. He sobbed loudly knowing no one would hear him and he elbowed the dumpster, making him cry even harder.

Gabby turned on the shower and stepped inside. She closed the curtain and leaned her forehead on the wall of the shower and she started to tear up. She remembered how earlier they watched doctors roll out her baby's body in a bassinet to the hospital morgue. She then started to sob. "Why Andy why!" she said between sobs, suddenly feeling someone's strong hands on her waist. She turned around and saw it was Matt, joining her in the shower. She leaned her body against his and cried, Matt crying along with her. Water dripped down their bodies as they stood there, arms wrapped around one another when Matt pulled away from Gabby and started kissing her, wanting to take both their minds off of Andy's death. Gabby pulled back and looked Matt in the eyes, suddenly kissing him harder. "Gabby," Matt moaned as she kissed his neck, making her look up. "Are you okay?" Gabby looked at him and nodded her head. "I know I will be, as long as I'm with you."

*Ambo 61 child down, unknown causes. 745 Kaydem Park* the dispatcher said making Gabby and Matt break their kiss. "I gotta go," Gabby said opening up the curtain and grabbing two towels before closing the curtain again, wrapping a towel quickly around her body. "I love you," she told Matt as she kissed him before running out, Matt watching her go. "I love you too," he hollered back, wrapping a towel around his waist and stepping out of the shower. He walked out to the locker room where Gabby was already throwing on her paramedic shirt, running to the ambo.
"Hi did someone call for an ambulance?" Sylvie asked as they rolled the gurney through the park, realizing Chicago Smiles was at there. Alexa was here. Sylvie saw the shirts and started to get worried. "ALEXA?!" Sylvie yelled as she now ran with the gurney through the park, remembering Alexa's favorite spot. Alexa was only 9 months old but had a favorite activity to do, the rotating tunnels. "Help over here!" yelled out one of the workers making Gabby run ahead of Sylive, looking at where the woman was pointing. Sitting in the sandbox was Alexa with a little girl laying next to her, foaming at the mouth.