Chapter 14 *The Loss*

Gabby's eyes flew open and she looked around. She was back in the hospital, a dreaded place where she hated to be. She sat up and across the hallway she saw Matt laying on a bed, a cast extending from his ankle to his knee. He saw her from across the room and swung his legs over the bed and grabbed his crutches. "Gabby!" he exclaimed hobbling over and bending down over the bed and hugging her.
"I'm so glad you're ok," he said kissing her forehead that was wrapped in a bandage. "What happened?" Gabby asked placing her hand on her head, rubbing it and closing her eyes. "We got in an accident. We were hit by a semi," Matt replied sitting down as a nurse walked over.
"Sir, you're supposed to be in your bed," the nurse said walking over to Matt crossing her arms. "She's my... Uh..." he stammered as he saw union officials walk into the emergency room looking for him. "Alright I'll go," he said grabbing his crutches, taking a good look at Gabby before hobbling back to his bed, sitting on it when the Union Officials reached him. "Lieutenant Casey," a union official said as he shook Matts hand. "I'm Donovan Blake," the man said introducing himself. "I'm so sorry about your loss" "What loss?" Matt asked looking confused. "One of your men, Brian Suavachek. You didn't hear?" Mr. Blake asked looking at Matt who laid back in his bed, pinching the bridge of his nose.
Gabby looked at Matt confused. Did something happen to one of their men? She wanted to know and when the union official came to her she asked, "Did something happen?" Mr. Blake nodded his head and replied, "Yes.... Brian Suavachek. He was D.O.A. I'm so sorry for your loss" Gabby shook her head in disbelief and she watched as he left and she turned onto her stomach and cried softly into her pillow.
"Gabby!" Sylvie exclaimed as she walked over to Gabby, making her sit up. "Poor thing," she said hugging her, her stomach getting in the way. "You heard?" Sylvie asked her as she sat in the chair next to Gabby's bed, a tear trickling down her cheek. "It was first Shay, now Otis. Sylvie... Is our house cursed?!" Gabby cried, Matt hearing her sobs from across the hallway. He looked at her but quickly looked away. He wish he could just lay with her and forget all of this ever happened and love on her. He wanted so bad to walk over there and comfort her, but he physically couldn't. He was broken.
"No no no of course it's not!" Sylvie exclaimed giving Gabby another hug, Gabby gripping her tighter. "I don't know if I'll be able to handle this any longer," Gabby sobbed as a doctor walked into the room, closing the curtain. "Ms. Dawson.... I have some news to share with you," the doctor said making Sylvie and Gabby stare at each other, not knowing what was going to happen next.