Chapter Three *Truth Be Told*

Gabby walked back into the kitchen wiping tears from under her eyes. Everyone looked at her and nodded their heads at her, Gabby looking at them confused. Chief Boden then stood up and walked over to Gabby and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Come with me," he said, guiding her to his office. When they entered his office, Matt was leaning against the window seal, arms crossed and he looked as Gabby sat down. Chief Boden sat down behind his desk and folded his hands. "That was a very nice speech you gave out there Dawson," he said looking her in the eyes. "Thank you Chief," Gabby replied. "Do you understand that what you did was unacceptable, the not following orders part? Now I have to say... Saving those kids was an honorable deed, and you risked your life, and Casey's also, to save them," Chief added, writing something on a piece of paper. "Chief, I know that I went into the building, but it was Matt's choice to follow me in. Don't punish him because of me. I'll take all the blame if it comes to me leaving this firehouse," Gabby said standing up and looking over the desk at Chief's paper. Chief Boden looked up at Gabby and started to laugh. "Gabby, you are something else! Do you think I'm just gonna let my most courageous and hard headed firefighter leave this firehouse. If so you were sadly mistaken," Boden laughed showing Gabby the paper. On the bottom of the paper, in small letters, he had written 'Candidate followed orders', and when she read it she smiled. Matt walked over to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Did you really think we were gonna let you go?" Matt asked looking at Gabby wanting to kiss her, but knowing he couldn't in front of Chief. Gabby looked at both of them and looked down and laughed. "Yeah, I really did! Thanks, both of you," Gabby said standing up shaking Chief Boden's hand and shaking Matt's. She quickly walked out the room and she felt her heart leap out of her chest with great joy. She had to go share the news with Sylvie, it couldn't wait. Matt watched Gabby leave and a smile spread out across his face. "Casey..." Chief Boden said crossing his arms. Matt turned around and looked at the Chief, giving him his full undivided attention. "I know I might be an old dinosaur and all, but what you're thinking... Or what you're doing... Isn't a good idea," Chief Boden said. Matt chuckled when he heard Chief say this and he walked towards the door. He then turned back around and said, "Don't worry Chief, I got this all under control" before leaving Chief Boden, smiling as he walked down the hall.