84. Free

Art by @SpaceRobinhood on Twitter

Dream POV

Today's the day. Should everything go right, I'll be able to initiate the next step of my plan.

Taking a deep breath, I splash fire resistance and swim through the orange lava. My feet land on the obsidian of the cell for one final time.

"Hey Sam," I still don't have mask on so Sam can see genuine smile.

"Oh hey Dream." He sounds much happier than before. "You're right on time."

"Yeah," I run the back of my neck nervously. "It's a big day for both you and I."

"Right."

I pearl across the barrier and land next to Sam who takes a few steps back to avoid me.

"So you ready to get out of here?" I ask. I know he'll take my offer. Just four days in this cell has driven him crazy.

Sam glances around for a second before pulling his gaze back to me.

"Yeah, I want to get out of here, see my home again."

"Okay, did you think about my proposition?" I dig my hands into my bet, fidgeting with random items out of habit.

"Yeah," Sam mumbles. "You just want access to the prison right? Not putting anyone in."

"No, only if someone is truly evil."

Well I'll be moving someone around in the prison but not putting anyone else inside.

"Someone truly evil?" he repeats. "Not like us right? But someone really evil."

"Yeah if that comes up. I don't have anyone in mind, at the moment." I pull out a golden apple and run my thumb across its shiny gold surface. "I just need a base, that's all."

"Will I still have access to the prison?" Sam asks.

"No," I state simply. "It's my base, I don't want you having access to my base right?"

"What should I say?" he asks. "When people ask about the prison."

"Just say it's out of commission and that since I escaped there's no use for it." I stick my hands behind my back and fidget with them.

I'd developed a habit of fidgeting with my hands and feet and I don't know why. It's not out of nervousness but just the feeling that something in my life isn't right.

"What if they don't believe me?"

"You can just say that you're moving on and it can be used in the future if needed." My hands stay behind my back as I force my feet to stay still.

"Okay, yeah, sure." Sam eats the last piece of steak and smoothies out his clothes.

"You ready to go?" I ask. Come on, let's get this over with.

Sam glances up at me with a sad expression.

"I just want to get out."

"Alright." I walk over to him and splash fire resistance on us both. I hand him an ender pearl and we both pearl across the barrier. Sam looks back at the cell one last time before taking a deep breath and facing forward.

"Come on, follow me." I dive headfirst into the lava and wait a bit for Sam to catch up. We swim through the heavy, orange goop until I see the platform in view. "Just down here."

I land on the platform and Sam touches down a few seconds later. He breathes in deeply and turns around in a circle, slowly taking on the room.

"You're getting out!" I say, as cheerfully as possible.