81. The Bad Guy?

Art by @SpaceRobinhood on Twitter

Dream POV

I walk through the prison with Y/N still unconscious over my shoulder. After dropping her armor and belt by the main desk, I carry her to the cell block.

The cell door creaks as I open it and throw her inside without a care in the world.

She's still unconscious but she'll be awake soon enough.

With a smirk still ever present on my face, I turn to the main cell.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I swim through the lava again and find the cell empty.

Sam?

Throwing an ender pearl over the barrier I draw my sword and glances around. Everything is the same. The water in the cauldron is still.

As I creep closer to the back of the cell, sounds of punching becoming audible. I peer down into the tunnel dug by me and am pleased to see Sam punching the obsidian.

I stay there, watching for a while. Finally, he glances up.

"Dream!" He quickly swims up. I grin at his desperation. "I need food."

"Hmmm," I twirl my sword. "I don't know." I lift my mask up, placing it at my hip for the time being.

No need to hide.

"Please," he begs. His green eyes lock onto mine. "I've been ringing this bell hoping you would come back. I was afraid you wouldn't."

"I'm not your butler, I don't just come with the ring of a bell," I shoot back. "You're such an idiot for believing that I will just come back when you want me to."

Sam shuffles his feet and glances at the falling lava. Open on top of the chest is a book. The book's pages are filled with black lettering. From here I can make out the words "I'm not an idiot" over and over again.

"How long has it been?" Sam asks.

"It's been a day," I reply. "Just one day. You don't even have a clock to keep track."

Wait until he starts losing track of time.

"Okay okay." Sam goes back to pacing around the cell. I take my seat on the chest, legs crossed.

"I have some questions for you," I say. Sam snaps his head toward me. "I'll give you food if you answer then honestly."

Sam nods eagerly and steps closer.

"Do you think you're a good person?"

"Yeah," he mumbles. "I think so."

"You think so?"

"No, I don't think. I know. I know I am."

"Hmmmm, are you sure?" I run one hand along the edge of the mask, tracing it's circular shape. "I would disagree."

"I'm sure." Sam sits down next to the bell and hits it gently. The soft dining sound echos around the cell.

"Have you done bad things?"

"Uhhhh," Sam fidgets with his hands for a bit. "I guess I've done—. I don't think the things I did were necessarily bad but they were for the greater good."

"Really?" I arch an eyebrow at him. "You think that the ends justify the means and that's what makes it not bad."

"I guess. I've done some bad things to try and get to a good outcome."