Chapter 44

LISA

I watched her disappear into the house. Would she come back again? Should I have followed her?

But then I remembered why I let myself be persuaded to stay in here at all, I had an idea but I wasn't sure if it was really a good idea.

Before I could think any further, I pulled out my phone, went into my contacts and pressed the name of whoever I was hoping could help me.

"Dad? I need your help."

-

After the conversation with my dad, I made a few other calls and I told everyone the same thing.

As I was on the phone, I saw more and more cars pulling into the property. People got out and some changed already on the way to the house. I knew it was the pack reinforcements that Jennie had requested. A little later, the first ones from the club came back.

I stayed seated, nobody was coming at the moment, but it was only a matter of time. And then it happened.

Suddenly the door flew open, a strong hand grabbed my arm and yanked me out of the car. Before I even realized what was happening to me, I was thrown against the car and in a matter of seconds a guy was standing so close to me that I couldn't move an inch.

(Flashback)

I got out of the woods just fine, staying on the outskirts of town where there weren't many people, so I wasn't noticeable in my dress. I was just turning onto a path when a young man was crossing the street, lost in my thoughts I turned in too late and saw the pedestrian fall. Did I run over him?

From the smell of blood, at least I'd hurt him. I immediately stopped and ran to him. I knelt in front of him.

"Are you all right? Are you hurt?" I asked and I was overcome by a wave of guilt that I was familiar with by now.

"Everything is fine, just a few scratches." The guy around 25 answered and sat up.

"I'm terribly sorry." I apologized, my eyes searching him. He had multiple abrasions and a minor head injury. "Shall I take you to the hospital?"

At least I owed him that, but he shook his head. He tried to get up, but he staggered and almost fell if I hadn't grabbed him. The sudden closeness to him and thus also the closeness to his blood intoxicated me. I had to get Jennie out of my head, be able to stand being near him without pouncing on him and at that moment the only option I could think of was to drink this guy's blood. I needed something good, nothing was as good as Jennie but this random man was definitely better than a blood bag. I sighed and looked at my victim with a rueful look.

'I'm sorry.' I mouthed silently, only to lean forward and bury my pointy canines in his yielding skin.

(Flashback End)

I swallowed the memory, the fear, and the disgust towards him and looked straight into his eyes. "Aren't you the washcloth I nearly ran over and then sucked out? You're really hard to kill."

He laughed. "Yes, you can say so."

Without warning, his laughter stopped and he raised his fist.

I realized too late what he was up to, I turned away, but it still hit me at an angle on the temple.

I was thrown to the ground by the force of the blow, I stretched my arms in front of me in a flash so as not to hit my head. In the same motion, and still half on the ground, I turned, my vampire fangs out and my senses on the edge.

A loud hiss came out of my mouth, the vampire hunter reflexively took a step back. I used the resulting space and jumped up with a jerk. I ran over to him at vampire speed and rammed my front teeth into his neck.

His resistance was unexpected. I was in a frenzy of blood when he broke free, punched me several times in the stomach, and kicked me into the car with a well-placed kick. The impact on the ground was hard. I hissed and tried to get up to tackle him again, but he was gone.

I looked around and could still see my dad throwing the limp vampire hunter corpse to the ground. There was blood on his mouth and he grinned wryly at me.

"Here I am, my child. I heard you need a little... support?"

I looked behind him and saw at least a dozen, if not more, vampires there, including my beloved school secretary, Mrs. Brown, and the well-known hybrid, Mr. Meyer.

Now let the show begin!