Chapter 24

LISA

I had ran out of her room and left her alone. I had been drinking from the next best person, hoping it would do some good! But despite everything, the very first instinct when I saw her was to rush towards her, drag her out of the room and finally drink from her again.

Maybe she would have even allowed that, but if I reacted so blatantly to her blood, what was the probability that I wouldn't be able to stop? What if I lost control like the situation with Eric? What if someone like Jisoo doesn't come and drag me away from her?

No, I couldn't take that risk.

I only half heard Jennie apologizing to the teacher for being late as my mind was on what I could do to keep myself in check.

She walked past me to her seat and I instantly tensed up at the sudden closeness. My breathing quickened, my gaze darting restlessly, looking for a way to escape, a way to avoid being exposed to this torturous craving. But instead, my eyes found hers and before she could even show any reaction, I was on my feet and storming out the door.

It had been too much, her mere presence, her smell slowly spreading through the room.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't even notice I was leaving school. But when I looked around I noticed it. The surroundings were unfamiliar to me, and I realized that I had probably come out through the back door. In front of me was a small playground with a climbing frame and swings.

I looked around, confused. This was a junior high school, the students of this school were all much too old for something like that.

"There used to be an elementary school here. The playground is what's left of it." Suddenly a very familiar voice answered my unspoken question.

I stood still. I didn't dare turn around for fear I might hurt her if I did. At the moment it was bearable and I didn't want to destroy it under any circumstances. Why did I have to react so strangely to Jennie of all people?

She came closer and closer until she was standing immediately behind me, then she put her arms around me and hugged me lightly so that I could feel her chest against my back as well as her breath on the back of my neck.

I was breathing heavily, though I wasn't sure if it was because of her closeness or because of the blood that was coursing through her veins.

"Lisa, what's up?" She wanted to know and murmured softly in my ear. "Why can't you look at me anymore without running away?"

Her voice sounded mostly confused, but if you listened closely, there was also a slightly injured tone.

"Yesterday, at the river, what exactly happened after the bite?" I asked just as quietly as she just did, ignoring what she had just said.

"I called Jeongyeon with your cell phone to pick us up, and then I put you in my bed at the pack house. When you woke up in the morning you were gone." She said, her chin on my head. "Why do you ask this?"

Now I couldn't help but explain my behavior to her. It was obvious that the bite must have triggered it. As I had suspected all along.

It had been clear that the markings would follow, some that could be seen or felt immediately, others that had yet to evolve and be discovered. However, I would not have thought that unpleasant things were also included.

Before I started to speak, I loosened her arms around me, took her hand and led her to the jungle gym. I sat down on a raised platform to be at about eye level. She herself leaned diagonally across from me on the playground equipment.

"Since I woke up with you, something has changed. As soon as I get near you, I'm thirsty as hell. The urge to taste your blood, to let me get intoxicated, which only you can evoke in me. And worst of all, it seems like I've been trained to be myself so no one else can satisfy my hunger."

I didn't look at her as long as I spoke. The words sounded sick to my ears. Like a drug addict who confessed his addiction. When I thought about it, I was actually nothing more than a blood junkie.

"Do you remember what I promised you yesterday? I said I'll be there for you and take care of you. What I'm saying is... I don't care if you try to drink my blood and I even would be glad if you enjoy it. I'm a werewolf, it won't kill me if you drink from me. Just... don't just blow your mind instead of talking to me because it sucks not knowing what's going on." Jennie replied suddenly.

I looked at her without understanding. How could she say something like that after I confessed how broken and abnormal I was? Even when she practically fell to the ground with her words, all I could think about was her blood and that upset me incredibly.

She deserved to have someone by her side who thought about more than just her blood. Someone better than me.

"I'm sorry but I don't want to hurt you." I whispered softly.

"You're not hurting me with that." She repeated and took my face in her hands. "Please, I want to do this for you. If I mean something to you then let me help you. I don't want you to run away from me."

She was too close, way too close. Her smell...

Jennie probably noticed how much I wrestled with my composure because she hugged me even more. She cocked her head a little to expose her neck.

I did not want that. Of course I wanted to be able to be close to her, to get to know her, just to be with her without constantly thinking about her blood. But I didn't want to bite her, even though I knew I had no other choice.

My resistance broke, intoxicated by the influence of my senses that seemed like blood and as if controlled by a strange power, my fangs slid out for the second time today and this time drove into Jennie's skin.

At exactly the same moment, she spasmed all over her body and an animalistic scream broke the silence.