Chapter 36

LISA

"He..." She started, but then she lowered her gaze. "It doesn't matter now."

I didn't reply to her words, instead I snuggled deeper into her arms. It was okay that she didn't want to talk about it, I kind of understood that.

Jennie stirred beneath me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw her stretch and reach into the drawer of her bedside table. I watched her in amazement.

"What are you doing there?" I asked at the exact moment when she laid down normally again and held something out for me.

"You forgot that here yesterday."

Now I recognized the object in her hand. My mobile phone. With all the excitement I had completely suppressed the fact that I was still looking for it this morning.

"I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks." I mumbled and took it from her.

As soon as I turned it on, I immediately saw the 6 missed calls and the 15 texts from Rosé that she had sent me this morning when I was so late at school and another one asking if something had happened that made me ran out of class. During the break she asked me where I was staying and if I had found my cell phone again. I rolled my eyes at the message, how was I supposed to text her back that I couldn't find my phone if I couldn't find it?

I decided to answer her right now. 'Sorry, Chaeng, for not replying for so long. I forgot my cell phone at Jennie's. And because of school, I wasn't feeling well, I was sick and she was so nice and drove me home.'

As I wrote, I looked over at Jennie. She had fallen asleep again. Still lost in thought, I felt my cell phone vibrate. I looked at it quickly.

'Oh poor you, I hope you're not too bad. But why are you awake at this hour? Try to get some sleep and maybe you'll be fine by tomorrow.'

I didn't even think of that! It was six o'clock, not the best time to start a conversation. She probably blamed my insomnia on the sickness.

'I don't think I can fall asleep again. But what about you? Did I wake you up?' I typed quickly.

This time Rosé's answer was immediate. 'No, not at all. My neighbors are making a noise again. Whatever they're doing is bloody loud.'

Since I didn't know exactly what to write, I let it be for now. I had another idea for this. I leaned towards the bedside table and pulled out the same drawer Jennie had pulled my phone out of earlier. Inside was a pile of stuff, including a book she had started, as I could tell by the bookmark in the middle, and what I was looking for... headphones. I put them on and put the end in Jennie's cell phone, which was right next to it. Of course I could have used my own, but there was hardly any music on it. Also, I was really interested in what Jennie was hearing and I knew she wouldn't blame me. Jennie just didn't seem to me like the person for whom her cell phone was everything and didn't let anyone else get to it.

When the playlist started, I recognized the song immediately. It was actually 'Let It Be' by The Beatles. I mean, I didn't listen to much music and until now I hadn't really been interested in it, no doubt because of the lack of emotion, but I even knew this band, which was world famous at the time, and a few of their songs. I had never realized how soothing this song was before, but now I realized how beautiful it was and how hopeless. The chorus came and I sang along to the lyrics softly.

Let it be, let it be,
Whisper words of wisdom,
Let it be

I gently rocked my head to the beat of the music. The moment the instrumental came on, I saw a message appear on the display. Since it was only from Jeongyeon and not her father or anyone else unknown, I didn't think it was too bad to read. Or maybe it went too far?

I pushed the doubts aside and opened it. But if I had known that it wasn't, as suspected, something unimportant or one of her somewhat inappropriate jokes, I might have changed my mind.