Chapter 38

LISA

Throughout the school day, I thought about tonight. Not only did Rosé think I should go, but also, to my honest surprise, Jennie.

She had said there would also be many supernaturals who might have information about our enemies.

When the bell finally rang, I was still none the wiser. In itself, nothing spoke against the party, but the memory of all the other club nights in which I had explicitly chosen my victims, just couldn't let go of me.

"But you're not like that anymore and besides, I'm with you. Nothing will happen." Jennie replied after I told her about my doubts. "And I can introduce you to some of my pack there. You said you wanted to spend more time with them."

I looked thoughtfully into the sun. We had sat down on the completely overcrowded meadow, no wonder in this weather. Ever since Geography, I've had that familiar dry mouth sensation that usually signals hunger. But it didn't feel the same as usual, it felt like... at that moment the light dawned on me and I immediately felt nauseous. The reason was very simple. My body didn't just want a little canned blood, it wanted Jennie's blood. That's how, only stronger, it had felt when I had escaped from her room. But that was impossible. That was only yesterday. Why was I so thirsty?!

"Hey, Lisa. Are you okay?" Jennie asked, who must have noticed something was wrong.

"Yes, everything alright. I'm just a little excited about tonight." I talked my way out, and was very glad that it was not her, but I, who had the ability of unmasking lies.

"Does that mean you're going with me?" Jennie asked.

Now I guess I had little choice but to go along, so I nodded.

Jennie smiled at me. "Believe me, it's going to be awesome."

-

Desperately, I sucked out the fifth blood bag. Luckily my father fetched supplies while I was at school, otherwise there would have been nothing left for a long time. But even so they didn't bring much. Hunger grew, as did my despair, the more my theory was confirmed. I drove home after school full of hope, only to destroy it piece by piece when I got there.

I was just about to reach for the sixth canned food when suddenly the bell broke through my plan. Oh yeah, right. Rosé had said she wanted to come. She was instantly hooked after I told her I was coming to the party.

I took extra time to open the door because I wasn't sure if I could handle all the enthusiasm in the mood I was in right now. But finally the opening of the door could not be delayed any longer and with a sigh I let Rosé in, who was literally beaming at me.

"I didn't know all the make-up and accessories you had there, so I took some with me." She started without further ado, let alone a greeting, waving a huge bag in my face. "I also brought some dresses that I think might suit you. Of course only if you like them though. I thought I'd bring them with me."

She paused for a moment, gasping for air and looking around before finally ending her rant with a terse question. "Where is your room, Lali?"

With a quick gesture I asked her to come with me and walked to my room. Once there, Chaeng immediately began to unpack her bag, which contained three dresses, a pile of make-up and a jewellery box. I had to admit the dresses were really beautiful. The first dress was strapless, in a dark shade of red, and reached about mid-thigh. A cute black bow was attached at the waist, which gave the whole thing a special touch. The second dress was dark blue to black, had thin straps and a sweetheart neckline, and was similar in length to the first dress. The only dress that was a little longer, roughly to the knees, was the third and final dress. It was in a violet, also had thin straps and a wide back neckline. If you looked closely, you could see how black painted tendrils of flowers pulled over the fabric.

"So which dress would you like to wear?"