Chapter 37

LISA

'Hey, Jen. I did what you said, this Meyer, or whatever his name is, said he was convinced that they were already there. The question is what they are waiting for and for some reason they are calling for reinforcements or they are planning something much bigger.'

I faltered at the name Meyer. Did she mean Mr. Meyer, my so-called blood fetcher? But what was the message about? About the rogues or the vampire hunters?

Even though Mr. Meyer was a hybrid, I had never noticed that he had much to do with the werewolves, let alone in a pack. On the other hand, why would Jeongyeon find out about the vampire hunters? The pack had nothing to fear from them.

I scrolled up the chat history a bit, but there was nothing more about it. Presumably, Jennie had given the instructions to Jeongyeon to meet with Mr. Meyer in person or over the phone. Rather than keep checking her phone, I decided to keep listening to the music and later ask Jennie what the message was about.

-

After quickly changing clothes and grabbing my school bag, I ran into the living room. I had already showered at Jennie's, immediately afterwards I woke her up and after she had also gotten ready, we drove to my place so that I could put on fresh clothes. She had agreed to wait on the couch. However, she wasn't sitting there anymore, instead I found her in the kitchen, or rather at the fridge, where she was looking in vain for food.

"What are you hoping to find?" I asked with a smile, putting my arms around her from behind and burying my face in her back.

"Anything edible that isn't red and packed in plastic bags." She mumbled hopelessly as she eyed my fridge contents critically.

I laughed. "Come with me, you can search here for a long time but you won't find anything. We'll look for a bakery on the way."

Jennie nodded, taking my hand on the way and we walked outside together.

Together we drove to a small cafe and since we still had enough time before class started, we decided to sit down instead of just getting something to take away. While Jennie ate, I stirred the coffee she ordered, despite my protests. I hadn't talked to her about the message from Jeongyeon that I read. But I knew I had to talk to her about it, which is why I've been searching for the best words to start with. Just when I was thinking about telling her about it after school, Jennie suddenly spoke to me.

"Lisa, I don't know if you were listening to me yesterday, but at least something should have stuck." She said reprovingly, but didn't take her eyes off her plate, so that if she hadn't mentioned my name, I wouldn't have felt addressed at all.

"What?" I asked rather confused.

At my tone she finally lifted her head and looked at me. "I can perceive your state of mind, often also your feelings. So I know when something's on your mind, and right now you're freaking excited and unsure. So just tell me what's up."

I didn't know how to answer that. I had completely forgotten that she could notice that I wanted to tell her something. And I don't think I'll get used to it anytime soon. I finally gave in and decided to just tell her what I had discovered.

"This morning before you woke up, I was listening to some music on your cell phone and there you received a message from Jeongyeon." I began.

"Have you read it?" She wanted to know and ran a hand through her hair. She knew what message I meant, I was sure of that.

I nodded. "What was it about? Why did Jeongyeon talk to Mr. Meyer?"

"You know Mr. Meyer?" Jennie replied in amazement, ignoring my questions.

"Yes, he gets me blood, but that's not the point." I made it clear to her and finally she gave up.

"I sent Yeon to him because I wanted to know more about these vampire hunters. Mr. Meyer is also part werewolf and is well versed in the supernatural and its enemies." She explained.

"But why are you interested in the vampire hunters? I thought the rogues were your problem?" I mumbled confused.

"Well for what? You're my mate and I need to know when or if it's safe for you. And to be honest, I'd still prefer it if you went with your father. They're not attacking at the moment, but they will." Jennie said worriedly.

I kept quiet. Inside I was fighting a fight. For one thing, she shouldn't be bothering with my problems or worrying about me. But then again, it was kind of sweet of her to want to protect me.

"Would you like anything else?" The waitress broke the silence.

"No, we would like to pay."

After she did that, we ran to the car and drove to school. There was a lot of activity there. There were students everywhere and there was even a small traffic jam in the parking lot. Together Jennie and I finally walked into the school building first to her locker as it was closer and then to mine. Chaeyoung was waiting for me right next to my locker. When she saw me she jumped excitedly and walked towards me.

"Lis! Oh God, I was afraid you wouldn't come today because you weren't doing so well yesterday and all that. You have no idea how glad I am that you are here. Then you can come tonight too." She said, pulling me into a quick, tight hug.

It took me a moment to understand what she meant, but then I remembered my lie from last night. Jennie raised an eyebrow, along the lines of, 'Did I miss something?'. I gave her an I'll-explain-later look and turned back to Chaeng.

"Where should I go?" I asked confused, not quite following her babble.

"Today is Friday!" She said as if that were an answer. I looked at Jennie for help.

"There's always a discount for students over 16 at a club near here on Friday nights, so it's kind of a tradition here that they party there on Fridays." Jennie explained.

Rosé nodded eagerly. "Yes, and since you also go to school here, you have to come. After all, you don't want to break tradition, do you?"